Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Rear wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024 | 12:25 PM
gogo64789
Track Day

Default Rear wheel bearings

Hi, I replaced my rear wheel bearings. The passenger side rear wheel hub is getting hot and I feel strong vibrations in that area when driving. I replaced the brakes, rotor, etc. I torqued the bearings down to 350 lbs. I replaced the wheel shaft that goes through the hub. I can’t figure out what’s causing it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a picture of a rear wheel , outer bearing race, seated properly in the metal axle thing, on 1983 or similar year, please share with me. Maybe I didn’t push the bearing race all the way in and that’s my problem. Also the inner spacer ring in pictures of assembly looks backwards to the way it actually fits good. The flat side is towards the bearing, correct? Thanks

Last edited by gogo64789; 02-23-2024 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2024 | 12:52 PM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

The biggest challenge with rear wheel bearings is making sure the race is fully seated into the rear trailing arm. Even with a bearing tool it was difficult to get it fully seated and required torqueing down the axle nut to the full torque spec (dont have it off the top of my head but its a lot). You also need to be careful the bearing doesn't separate from the race when installing (make sure you are pressing on the race and not on the bearing face) otherwise you will destroy the bearing. This is probably what happened.

When I did mine last summer the race wouldnt seat the last 1mm or so until I had the nut torqued down.

Sounds like youre going to have to re-do the job

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearings