944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

​​​​​​​Looking for a Reputable Shop Near Berkeley for my 944

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 12:35 AM
jrubins_03
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ​​​​​​​Looking for a Reputable Shop Near Berkeley for my 944

I'm looking for a reputable shop near Berkeley to take a look at my '83 944's electrical issues, as well as performing some mechanical repairs that I have already diagnosed (camshaft cover gasket, CV axle). I am also looking for a reputable body/paint shop to do a full refresh of the body, including some dents and a full repaint. Bonus points if these can be done at the same shop. Wheel alignment is also a plus.

Some background: I purchased an '83 944 a couple months ago, and so far it's been a great experience. I purchased it as a project, and honestly I was expecting it to be a lot more difficult than it was to get it running and reliable. After some electrical work, diagnosing/fixing the cooling system, and replacing the horribly loud muffler with a Dansk unit, I am left with a few electrical gremlins that are a bit beyond my level of expertise/expendable time. These include inconsistent headlight and AC behavior, which I have been managing to live with, but I would prefer to have gone through by a professional. I also seem to have a failing CV axle (clunk in the rear when letting off the clutch, plus the car came with a new CV axle in the trunk), and the interior smells like gas when I fill up the tank. It also came with a pretty poorly installed wrap, which I would like to take off at some point and possibly repaint it, as well as getting some dents taken out. This car is my daily driver, though I live within walking distance of work so I can live without it for a week or two. I have put about 1000 miles on the car since I got it, and it has been pretty great, except for said gremlins.

If anyone can shed some light on my issues, that would be appreciated as well. I have ordered a new headlight switch, but I don't have much confidence that this will be the solution. I have also replaced all fuses and relays, which only solved a few of my issues. The most annoying issue has been the dash lights turning off randomly at night, preventing me from seeing my speed/engine RPM. Also, the parking brake warning light flickers constantly, and recently turning my wheel to the left occasionally causes a short somewhere and releases a little puff of smoke. I have ordered a new turn signal/windshield wiper stalk assembly. I bought the car for $4k. No regrets.

Last edited by jrubins_03; 11-13-2023 at 12:40 AM. Reason: added photo of dent
Old 11-16-2023, 11:02 PM
tone3721
Drifting

Received 437 Likes on 315 Posts

http://bauer-werks.com
Old 11-17-2023, 06:47 AM
jrubins_03
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by tone3721
Thanks! I will definitely check this place out. Do they do body work as well or only mechanical work?
Old 11-17-2023, 03:54 PM
tone3721
Drifting

Received 437 Likes on 315 Posts

Ask for Brian. I can't remember if they do body work. They didn't used to.

I'm in Emeryville this week. What you need to get done on it? Id be happy to look it over, even turn some wrenches.
Old 11-19-2023, 07:18 PM
jrubins_03
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by tone3721
Ask for Brian. I can't remember if they do body work. They didn't used to.

I'm in Emeryville this week. What you need to get done on it? Id be happy to look it over, even turn some wrenches.
I'll probably prioritize the electrical issues for now, but I'll ask if they do body work or can recommend a good shop. I replaced the headlight switch and turn signal stalk, as well as insulating obviously damaged wires, still having the intermittent electrical issues, so I'll probably have to take it to a shop. Again, any insight is appreciated if anyone on here knows where the fault might be. I recently got the LED headlights from only944, which I assumed would be a simple swap but may be the source of my issues.
​​
Unfortunately I'm pretty busy this week but appreciate the offer!
The following users liked this post:
tone3721 (11-19-2023)

Quick Reply: ​​​​​​​Looking for a Reputable Shop Near Berkeley for my 944