944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Hall Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:19 PM
Melchior
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hall Sensor

From what I understand, this is used to by the DME to set the timing/fuel scheduling. Is it true that when it fails that the DME will fail-safe to retard the timing? What are some noticable symtoms that occur when it fails. Mine currently has a crack at the bosch connector and its bad enough to see the wires. I am looking into replacing it. What does an engine that has a 'retarded' timing respond like?
Old 05-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Melchior
Pro

bump
Old 05-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

ignition timing would be retarded 6 degrees from normal...so the engine would have a little less power

but if you are using low octane fuel, the knock detection would not work either...so you may also experiance detonation under load
Old 05-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Melchior
Pro

Currently I using the SteveR Chip and running 91 or higher octane.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:13 PM
DevNull
Advanced

My connector completely disintegrated. I was able to get the connection made, but its sketchy at best. The connecter for the sensor itself is ok, but the wiring harnes part is toast, any one have a part number for this harness? or a source for a whole engine harness? I have an 87 S
Old 07-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sensors are pretty much an all or nothing deal. There'll be a short time of intermittent stumbles and stuff as it goes, but once it's out of spec, the car won't run at all. You see, as the sensor fail, the DME won't know how fast the flywheel's turning, so it won't know how long to keep the injectors open. It'll also miss the TDC trigger mark every once in a while, so it won't fire the cylinders correctly. And it won't be able to count teeth to find the spot to fire the #3 or the #2 cylinders on time... All of these effects will manifest itself as a car that run sporadically and stumbles.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:52 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by DevNull
My connector completely disintegrated. I was able to get the connection made, but its sketchy at best. The connecter for the sensor itself is ok, but the wiring harnes part is toast, any one have a part number for this harness? or a source for a whole engine harness? I have an 87 S
Mine's pretty toasted too. The wiring has a spot near the connector that is slightly melted. I'm going to splice in new wire from where it branches off the harness and replace the wires up to the connector.

Quick Reply: Hall Sensor