Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Coolant bleeding revisited

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004 | 10:11 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Question Coolant bleeding revisited

I have changed waterpumps and bled systems before, but this 89-944S2 is giving me headaches. It was running perfect before, with no leaks or high temp. I changed the t-belt, waterpump, thermostat, and thermo-switch. but I am having a devil of a time bleeding it. I have tried raising one side higher and both sides even. When I start bleeding it from the bleeder on the head, water only comes out when I rev the engine, otherwise just air or nothing. The fan comes on first low then high at the appropriate level as indicated on the dash guage. When reving the motor I can see bubble appearing in the reservoir. If I take the cap off it bubbles and spits out coolant. One odd point it that the bubbles in the reservoir look soapy, small. but they don't last and the coolant remains clean.

Is there a special trick to bleeding the S2?
Old 05-07-2004 | 12:51 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

You can start with http://www.clarks-garage.com under "Garage shop manuals" and W for water pump. There is a complete guide on the replacement of the water pump and two methods for feeding and bleading the coolant system.

Good luck. Just hoping you didn't get the thermostat in backwards.
Old 05-07-2004 | 06:20 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

I've drained, refilled and bled both my 944 NA and 951S very easily. I removed the lower rad hose to drain the system, flushed it with clear water and drained it again before refilling from the coolant tank.

I've never had to raise / lower / tilt the car - just filled through the coolant tank, and started the engine to warm it up - all the time, I left the coolant cap off. I turned the heater on full too.

I just backed off the bleeder nut and waited for the bubbles to start - then as the coolant level drops, I just keep topping off until I see a solid stream of coolant from the bleeder valve. Done this 3 or 4 times already and never had a problem with overheating. In fact, both cars run cooler than before - I also added Redline Water Wetter to the refills too - that definitely helps.

Just follow the procedures from Clark's Garage and I think you'll find it works.
Old 05-10-2004 | 11:42 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys for the input. I refilled from the upper rad hose and the tank, but still nothing ever came out of the bleeder until I start the car and rev the engine. I finally figured out that there is something wrong with the heater control. That is why I wasn't getting any heat inside, unless I select defrost. So now it is not overheating and I get heat inside, at defrost only. Now to figure out when all the air is out. the overflow tank fills up when the engine is hot and goes to the max line when cold.
Old 05-15-2004 | 08:54 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Ha!! I figured it out. It turned out that the heater control wasn't completely opening the heater core when I turned on the heat. therefore it kept air in the system. When I turned the heater control to defrost, it opened completely, hence letting out all the air. After correcting the heater control everything is good to go.
Thanks a lot guys.

Quick Reply: Coolant bleeding revisited