944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Cooling System Sediment

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 11:36 AM
willcmartin007
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Cooling System Sediment

Hi Everyone, This is my first post on here I didnt see one like it but if there is please direct me that way. I had a question about my 1986 Porsche 944. Upon taking the radiator hoses off I noticed some white buildup in the tube and around the fitting didn't think much if it until I got the water pump off (which by service papers had been on since 1992) I noticed sediments in the main coolant passages for the water pump and the pump wheels face was just covered in barnacles and rust. I'm putting new hoses and new pump but what if the sediment in throughout the rest of the engine or in the radiator which i'm sure it is. Can I flush the system a few times with distilled water once I get the car back together or best not to run it through the new pump. Thanks in advance i'm excited to become a part of this community.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:00 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by willcmartin007
Hi Everyone, This is my first post on here I didnt see one like it but if there is please direct me that way. I had a question about my 1986 Porsche 944. Upon taking the radiator hoses off I noticed some white buildup in the tube and around the fitting didn't think much if it until I got the water pump off (which by service papers had been on since 1992) I noticed sediments in the main coolant passages for the water pump and the pump wheels face was just covered in barnacles and rust. I'm putting new hoses and new pump but what if the sediment in throughout the rest of the engine or in the radiator which i'm sure it is. Can I flush the system a few times with distilled water once I get the car back together or best not to run it through the new pump. Thanks in advance i'm excited to become a part of this community.
is the engine coolant temp above the normal range. The radiator can be removed and back flushed by a radiator shop that can deal with aluminum core radiator. As far as the engine, it would need a complete teardown to clean and if coolant temperature within normal, then not necessary
The following users liked this post:
willcmartin007 (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 04:28 PM
willcmartin007
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and pull the radiator to get it flushed out, from my short period of time running the car for about 2-3 minutes it didn't get hot while just sitting so I'll just bet on it not being to bad throughout the engine.

Quick Reply: Cooling System Sediment