944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Water pump project

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 03:31 PM
Tach
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump project

As many of you have probably done, being my first time, I’ll be finishing my tear down soon as I’ve found a leak at the water pump (assumption due to where the leak is coming from)...Also, I can see some oil at the base of the crank pulley so I’m planning on doing gaskets while in there.

You all have any recommendations on what to replace while I have timing belts and water pump off? While I’m in there....I hope to order most of what I need at once so I’m not waiting 3 days for a part and 3 more for another and ... etc

Thank you!
Old 10-07-2021, 11:22 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Tach
As many of you have probably done, being my first time, I’ll be finishing my tear down soon as I’ve found a leak at the water pump (assumption due to where the leak is coming from)...Also, I can see some oil at the base of the crank pulley so I’m planning on doing gaskets while in there.

You all have any recommendations on what to replace while I have timing belts and water pump off? While I’m in there....I hope to order most of what I need at once so I’m not waiting 3 days for a part and 3 more for another and ... etc

Thank you!
No replies on this yet? The main 924/944/968 sees much more traffic. In any case, definitely do all the rollers, and re-seal the crank, cam, and balance shafts (seals+bushings). I strongly recommend a great deal of care when attempting to break loose the water pump bolts. It's very common for the very bottom one to be seized. Try smacking the bolts straight on the head with a hammer and punch to 'wake them up'. There are four studs at the top...if they don't look too bad I'd leave them alone personally. They go in to the water jacket, and have about a 125% chance of snapping off if you try and remove them. And, while you're at it, buy new bolts to replace the old ones, every one of which you'll have been lucky to remove without breaking. Run a tap through all the holes, clean out with brake cleaner and compressed air. Use something on the threads to prevent corrosion. Lindsey racing recommends a threadlocker. I used marine grade anti-seize. I used a gasket sealer (Threebond) and cleaned the sealing surface thoroughly. Everyone says you shouldn't need sealant, but that's in a perfect world, and I don't live there...
The following 2 users liked this post by tempest411:
S-90GT (10-08-2021), Tach (03-13-2024)
Old 10-08-2021, 05:38 AM
four0four
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

All this...
Originally Posted by tempest411
No replies on this yet? The main 924/944/968 sees much more traffic. In any case, definitely do all the rollers, and re-seal the crank, cam, and balance shafts (seals+bushings). I strongly recommend a great deal of care when attempting to break loose the water pump bolts. It's very common for the very bottom one to be seized. Try smacking the bolts straight on the head with a hammer and punch to 'wake them up'. There are four studs at the top...if they don't look too bad I'd leave them alone personally. They go in to the water jacket, and have about a 125% chance of snapping off if you try and remove them. And, while you're at it, buy new bolts to replace the old ones, every one of which you'll have been lucky to remove without breaking. Run a tap through all the holes, clean out with brake cleaner and compressed air. Use something on the threads to prevent corrosion. Lindsey racing recommends a threadlocker. I used marine grade anti-seize. I used a gasket sealer (Threebond) and cleaned the sealing surface thoroughly. Everyone says you shouldn't need sealant, but that's in a perfect world, and I don't live there...
Plus while I'm in there (...), usually go update the PS hose, re-seal that pump, and replace all of the OPRV o-rings (late model: two o-rings, one crush washer. early model: ...ask someone else). It may be prudent to do the oil cooler seals as well. Both times I've done this I have also replaced the oil pump gear, though I'm not sure it was really necessary (wear here seems minimal compared to balance shafts).
The following 2 users liked this post by four0four:
S-90GT (10-08-2021), Tach (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 07:56 AM
Tach
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tempest411
sorry just a couple years late on the reply but that was very helpful. Basically exactly what happened. I had bought the replacement hardware kit for the water pump, radiator, under engine cover, replacement temp gauge and fan control module. 1 or 2 of those bolts snapped off and got them cleaned up haha

about to go back on tackling a couple oil leaks this time yeehaw

Quick Reply: Water pump project