Faulty security system

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 08:13 PM
Jay84944
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty security system

Hey there.

My 1984 base model 944 has recently been having issues starting and after chasing down a no spark condition for a month or so I have recently discovered that the likely problem is the security system.

To determine this I disconnected the harness connector next to the driver wheelwell next to the starter connector as well as the DME connector, and the alarm Connector.

Next, I grabbed my multimeter on ohms, put the negative lead in the connector by the starter connector and the other lead in slot number 1 on the DME connector, essentially testing for continuity between the coil and the DME. The multimeter read "open load", which told me the ignition coil is not being grounded where it should be grounded. next, leaving the negative lead in that connector in the engine bay, I moved the other lead to the "ignition coil pin" on the alarm connector and I got around .03 ohms (or something along those lines. There was a connection, whatever the ohms were)

So that was my diagnosing process. I have tried the jumper wire trick that bypasses the alarm but doing so tripped the alarm and I didnt actually turn the key to see if that would work or not. but, the ignition coil pin on the alarm box is getting continuity anyways so I think we already ruled that out.

To my actual question here, how does one remove the alarm from the car? Ive heard it isnt hard at all, and Ive also heard that the DME doesnt work without the alarm. Ideally, I would like to just remove all of the alarm wiring altogether, as I wont be needing it, but I don't know what is dependent on what

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 09-22-2021, 08:53 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 276 Posts

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-23.htm

Quick Reply: Faulty security system