Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Microsquirt ECU for Porsche 944 S2 - Motronic replacement - How To

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 11:35 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 235 Posts

Also based on your photo from the MS forums, it appears the PO is using the 8V throttle body and not the S2 throttle body and linkage? I do have a spare throttle body and linkage as well as a throttle cable if you need it. My S2 TB and linkage appears to be different from what you are running.

I noticed you are running both a MAF, IAT and MAP. I dont think the MAF is necessary, since you already have the MAP and IAT (all you need for speed density). I also see you have a variable TPS and wideband so thats great!

Im curious why the need to run a resistor on the wideband? Im running the Innovate MXT-L and did not have to add any resistors, just hooked it up, grounded it to the same ground as the DME, ran the input line to MS wideband input and it was good to go.

Also I am running wasted spark and so my MSQ will not be configured for COP/sequential ignition and I am also running stock S2 injectors in batch fire mode. This will impact a lot of the fueling settings in my MSQ since your REQ FUEL value is going to be likely very different from mine because you are running different (bigger) injectors. This will mean your VE tables and my VE tables will likely not be compatible as well as the After Start enrichment, Warm up enrichment, Acell enrichment settings, etc.

I do know its absolutely critical that your REQ FUEL value is configured correctly based on your injector size or its going to cause cascading issues all the way down (from idle to VE table, etc), so curious if you have looked into this and verified that its calculated correctly. My REQ_FUEL was preconfigured by DIY Autotune for stock injectors.

For reference the stock S2 injectors are 277 cc/min (26.4 lb/hr, which you can to convert on this page) and are 15.4 ohm impedance. So yours are a bit larger than stock S2 injectors.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 06-06-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:45 PM
bpoindex
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tyler/walfreyydo,
Thanks for taking the time to reply and your offer to help. I added a variable tps similar to one you mention with an adapter plate that I machined. I believe the throttle body is correct for the S2; Looks like dtam’s above. I put the MAF on as a future option to test but am trying first to get running in speed density mode with the MAP. Resistor on wideband was per tech note attached (assumed it relevant to microsquirt also). Will I be able to convert your .msq to my microsquirt, (MS2/Extra 3.4.4 release 20201006 with tune adjustments? I’m a first time user for both msquirt and tunerstudioms so I do not know about interoperability.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:11 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Any MSQ will work in Tuner Studio so I dont think you should have any issues with that. I think they work independent of the version of MS you have. However, my MSQ is configured for stock injectors, so many if not all of the fueling related settings will not be usable for you, unless you reverted back to stock injector sizes. Still happy to send mine over just keep in mind its really going to be apples to oranges.

Per your MS forum post I am wondering if you have gone through the process of correctly calculating your REQ FUEL. I havent had to do this myself as mine was already setup when purchased, but I do know its a formula. This page has a calculator where you can input all the parameters of the injectors and engine.
http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mfuel.htm

Apologies if you have already done this. Also useful info on why you need to run the resistor on the wideband. Ive only recently purchased my whole setup so I was unaware if this needed mod on the LC units made prior to 2006.

FWIW my car idles best at around 13-13.5 AFR fully warm, and 11-12 cold. Any leaner than 13.5 at warm idle and it starts to pop and miss a bit.

The fact that the car starts and runs is a good sign, it just seems like you need to dial back fuel. You can change the VE table and dial it down in the idle range (this will change your overall fueling for idle) and the WE and ASE settings control how much fuel the engine is getting while its still warming up. Ideally, you want to tune idle on a warm car first, and then tune WE and ASE once warm idle is dialed in, so its just a matter of increasing/decreasing fuel as needed for a given temp over that baseline warm idle fuel. I cut all enrichment at around 170F, since thats about normal operating temp.

I would also recommend the youtube channel "Turbine Research" - they have a ton of good Tunerstudio guides on how to get your idle tuned, your AFR targets setup correctly, how to use VE Analyze (you have the full version of Tuner Studio - hopefully you have it, if not its worth the $60).

Feel free to PM me your email address and I can send over my MSQs. Im also happy to walk through any help you may need with Tuner Studio, although I am still learning myself, I have the car running fairly well now (enough to take it on weekend trips and autox events).

PS - FWIW here are images of my S2 linkage. Yours appears to be missing the ball and socket for the throttle cable - maybe just that one piece was brought over from the 8V since the throttle cable for the 8V is missing the ball/socket. Probably fine.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 06-06-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:46 PM
bpoindex
5th Gear

I see difference you mention with bellcrank and cable end type; could be non standard, I will say the cable and sheath requires some shortening to get proper pedal operation. have had some success by working on required fuel and other injector settings. now idling properly without the smoke bomb and even some decent transient and higher rpm’s. Thanks for the guidance there. Feels like I’m getting closer. Will try using the VE auto tuning in paid version of tunerstudioms soon.
The following users liked this post:
walfreyydo (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 02:34 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Thats great! In regards to the MSQ's I sent, you can probably use my Warm up enrichement, after start enrichment and maybe idle air taper settings, as these are not based on req fuel and just add a percentage of fuel. The idle air taper settings may or may not work, since you are not running the OEM bosch ICV on the S2 and the voltage percentages may be different. Its really important to get your idle tuned properly before moving on to tuning the wider powerband, etc. Happy to help with any pointers on idle tuning. Mine likes around 13.2 AFR at warm idle, and in the high 11s-12s when cold (this is due to warm up enrichment adding fuel). I am running open loop idle for now.

I would suggest setting your AFR targets similar to mine, then doing some test drives using autotune (VE Analyze), making sure that both accel enrichment and EGO correction are turned OFF (this is so they dont interfere with autotune). Do lots of different throttle positions, cruising, WOT, low rpm WOT, half throttle pulls, etc to make sure autotune gets to correct all the cells in the VE table. Once done, I typically smooth the table (see Turbine Research table smoothing on youtube) and then turn on AE and EGO correction. For AE, highly suggest you use TPS dot over MAP dot, assuming the variable TPS is working well. Also make sure your wideband is reading the same on the in-car gauge vs Tuner studio. It should be at least within a couple tenths of each other. Over run fuel cutoff is also an important setting to configure or your car will backfire and pop alot when decelling.

Be careful with ignition timing. I am running 93 octane with the ignition table I am running for added level of safety. I have not yet gotten the car on a dyno to fine tune, so ignition timing is not optimized yet for max power. I think I am running less timing than I could otherwise probably run. I also do not have knock control configured yet. I need to play around with it to filter out a lot of the noise the stock knock sensors read, just have not had time.

I do have an extra S2 throttle cable, if you want it.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 06-07-2023 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:32 AM
bpoindex
5th Gear

walfreyydo, thanks again for the help. I'm learning and working through these MS tuning and other non-engine related issues. Also, thanks for offer of your throttle cable, I'll PM you for details.

Quick Reply: Microsquirt ECU for Porsche 944 S2 - Motronic replacement - How To