1983 944 High Performance Turbo Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 09:01 PM
Sweiler6420
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 944 High Performance Turbo Conversion

Good afternoon,
I am relatively new to this forum but I purchased an 83 944 NA (US) last year for around $400. It was quite a steal, had everything but the only issue was it didn't run. Only has 55K miles on it but the wiring was trashed due to a mouse/rat. I have big ambitions for this car. Besides the normal appearance updates I plan on overhauling the whole engine and powerplant. I am looking to Turbo the car which means new pistons, rods, bearings, maybe a crankshaft balance, and balance shaft delete. After looking at the engine the walls look a little worn, nothing major, usual scratches but nothing that needs to be resurfaced. The head and block will be getting cleaned and flattened but what I need to know is if I need to get the engine sleeved. There are a few misconceptions about these M44/02 engines in the 1983 released US engines. They are not iron, and the internals are not forged as far as I know. I have read a few comments that say they are and if they are then ill keep them so if I am wrong please tell me. Back to the question though and more details since i am going a bit more advanced than just turboing to 6 psi. The Compression ratio on this engine is 9.5:1, and unless I get aftermarket pistons that lower this, this will be the end CR. I am looking at getting around 500 HP on E85 and assume i will be pushing close to 20-24 psi in the end. The engine will have a flex fuel sensor to ensure detonation is not a problem but I would like to make sure that I do all this work just to blow up the chamber. Has anyone done this or have experience with pushing this much power on the stock block? I am asking here because I have seen some of the wonderful answers people have received in the past on this forum and tbh I do not know any shop that can answer this for me. If you need more information please do let me know!

Thank you!
Stephen Weiler

Quick Reply: 1983 944 High Performance Turbo Conversion