944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

83 944 fuel delivery issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 10:59 PM
Preston 26
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 944 fuel delivery issue

Hi, new to Porsche and this forum but I recently bought a 83 944 and it turns over but doesn’t start I’ve hooked 12 volts directly to the fuel pump and it works so I replaced the dme relay and still nothing.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:28 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Does the tach needle wiggle while cranking? Could be the reference sensors. WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Does it have fresh fuel? There is a hex cap at the end of the fuel injector rail. Remove the cap, and don't lose the ball bearing inside, turn on the pump and make sure that you are getting fuel through the rail. Disconnect the coil wire first at the coil. Apparently the car has been sitting ..How long? Look at the thread above concerning the new poster and his dad's 83 model. After playing with the fuel rail and determining fuel flow, next check for spark. Pull a plug, is it wet? Does it smell like fuel? If so, reconnect the wire to it, and lay it on the block ( away from any spilled fuel) and have someone crank the car, while you look for spark. If you have spark at the plug, that's a good sign. Especially if it's wet and smells like fuel. If you still have spark, and it's dry then you may have an injector problem. Keep us posted on your progress!!
Old 07-20-2021, 08:45 PM
Preston 26
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Does the tach needle wiggle while cranking? Could be the reference sensors. WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Does it have fresh fuel? There is a hex cap at the end of the fuel injector rail. Remove the cap, and don't lose the ball bearing inside, turn on the pump and make sure that you are getting fuel through the rail. Disconnect the coil wire first at the coil. Apparently the car has been sitting ..How long? Look at the thread above concerning the new poster and his dad's 83 model. After playing with the fuel rail and determining fuel flow, next check for spark. Pull a plug, is it wet? Does it smell like fuel? If so, reconnect the wire to it, and lay it on the block ( away from any spilled fuel) and have someone crank the car, while you look for spark. If you have spark at the plug, that's a good sign. Especially if it's wet and smells like fuel. If you still have spark, and it's dry then you may have an injector problem. Keep us posted on your progress!!
Thank you for all the information but I am embarrassed to say that the problem was a bad fuse and nothing more. But once I got the car running it would not move in reverse but moves forward fine so I’m wondering if their are any ideas for that issue.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:37 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!! GLAD YOU GOT IT RUNNING!
Old 07-25-2021, 11:39 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Reach out to Kevin Gross (PM) about the reverse issue. He's the "Go to GUY" here on transmission issues. It could be just crappy rubber bushings in the shift linkage. Or, perhaps a clutch adjustment..

Quick Reply: 83 944 fuel delivery issue