944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 Manual Steering rack Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 11:22 PM
LTCHess
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Manual Steering rack Help

Hello. I am using a 944 manual steering rack for a non Porsche project. I sourced a used steering rack and did not note the pinon orientation when I took the steering rack apart for service. What I would need is the following. With the steering centered I need to know the orientation of the pinch bolt that attaches the u-join to the pinion. For example is the bolt level with the ground either to the top or bottom of the u-joint. Or is the bolt at a right angle to the ground on the left or right of the u-joint. Or I suppose it could be any orientation but locations at 90 degrees is what I would expect. Now that I have the steering rack on my surrogate car I am getting a very notchy feel to the steering and I think it is because the pinion is not mated properly to the rack. I know about the centering bolt that locates the rack properly and just need the pinion orientation. Thanks in advance for any help on this. Tom. (A pictures would work too)
Old 04-11-2021, 09:41 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Contact the
https://mwthemachineshop.com/
Ask for Martin
Old 04-11-2021, 09:57 AM
LTCHess
AutoX

Thanks! Seems like the right place to get the correct answer. Please tell me Martin is the one holding the chicken (well I assume it is a chicken) : ).
Old 04-11-2021, 11:51 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by LTCHess
Thanks! Seems like the right place to get the correct answer. Please tell me Martin is the one holding the chicken (well I assume it is a chicken) : ).
YES

Last edited by T&T Racing; 04-11-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:09 PM
LTCHess
AutoX

I decided to purchase a new steering rack from Martin. FYI. If you look at the pinion end like a clock (facing the front of the car) the bolt cutout should be located at 10:30pm according to Martin. I still got a notchy feel with that alignment. I think my salvage rack is worn beyond repair.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:14 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 279 Posts

I don't understand why the starting position of the pinion shaft would have any effect on smoothness. In a non Porsche application, it seems more likely that a notchiness could be caused by the steering shaft universal joints being at non complimentary angles, or clocked incorrectly to each other.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:44 PM
LTCHess
AutoX

Hi Gage. The reason I need the 944 steering rack as a surrogate is I did a engine swap on my car. The engine swap forced me to move my steering and the original steering rack will not work well with my necessary bump steer correction. The 944 steering rack is more narrow and the pinion is at a better angle for my relocation. I did have to add a third U-joint but I have a bearing support to keep everything working smooth. I can setup my old steering rack and the steering is just fine but I cannot correct for bump steer as easily. I think I was overly optimistic thinking that a steering rack out of a wrecked 1983 944 that has been in a salvage yard for who knows how long would work after simply re-greasing it.

Well when I get the new steering rack and I still feel notchy then I will need to reevaluate my assumptions : ). Tom

Quick Reply: 944 Manual Steering rack Help