944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Light up "Porsche" spoiler brake light

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 11:08 PM
jack_of_diamonds
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Light up "Porsche" spoiler brake light

!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!! THIS COULD RUIN YOUR SPOILER.

So I had this idea of attaching the third central brake light to light up the word "Porsche" on the spoiler and use it as a brake light. I know it's not the cleanest looking thing but I like it so whatever. What you'll need for this is; your spoiler detached from the car (obviously), The "FABOOD F 2X Halo Neon 100LED Stop Flowing Turn Signal Brake Rear Tail Light Trailer Truck" for $24.99, and an "ALZO LED Video Light Diffuser Kit, Soften and Diffuse On Camera LED Video Lights" for $18.31 both off Amazon.

Take off the lights and remove the nuts off the studs on the back.

Cut with a Dremel around the edge of the backside of the light and pull the back off.

Carefully! Cut a line lengthwise down the from of the light. Connect the front line to the back and pull the plastic off. You will be left with this.

With a sharp knife, cut along the seams of the badge.

Carefully cut the rubber away from the foam at one end.

Slowly and methodically work your way across pulling the badge off. You can manually separate the two just be sure to move slowly and have your fingers as close to the tearing point as possible.

Begin hollowing out the spoiler either cutting or tearing the foam out so that the lights sit at a slight angle down inside the spoiler.

Cut and super glue the light diffuser to the back of the badge. I used the "Loctite Super Glue Gel Control" It worked wonderfully with the rubber and foam.

Drill out the center screw hole for the wing with a 3/8 inch drill bit. If you can, drill into the foam some from the bottom side, but then go to the other side and drill toward it some, this will make the next step much easier.

Wrap the wires with electrical tape far enough to make it through the spoiler and the hatch hole, (about 6 or 7 inches)

Take a long screwdriver and shove it through the foam from the underside and out the badge, then tape the wires to the end and pull the wires through.

Super Glue the badge back into place around the edges. Do this slowly.

Cut the white and yellow wire and keep the red and black wire. The yellow wire controls the turn signal and only goes one way and the white wire is for daytime running.

Attach the spoiler to the hatch and pull the wires through the hatch hole. Shrinkwrap or tape off the bit that sticks out, this will be possibly exposed to the outside world.

Run the wires across the bottom and up the hard plastic wore holder for the back windshield wiper if you do not have one. You will have needed to add extension wire to the light to reach the very top, about 6 feet just to be safe.

Pull tight. That NRA sticker was there when I got the car and I leave it on ironically.

cut and strip the wires for the third brake light and attach in parallel to the wires. Solder the wires for a strong long-lasting bond and cover in shrinkwrap or electrical tape.

Do some final touch-ups with flex seal liquid to seal the entire light off along the seams and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Light up "Porsche" spoiler brake light