Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

It's a Good Day for an Exhaust Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 05:33 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Default It's a Good Day for an Exhaust Thread.

Hey everyone. So I've got an early 944 and I want to change the way the exhaust sounds. Something louder and more throatier without excess drone. My idea was to throw on a dual 2.5in to 3.5in tip in replacement of the stock tip. The look has grown on me, but I am wondering if that will give me the sound I'm looking for. I have no desire to remove the Cat, but I am entertaining the idea of a magnaflow muffler replacing the stock unit. The issue is, I can't find any modern videos of how a magnaflow sounds on an otherwise stock car. I have seen how wider dual tips can slightly change the sound and that is another reason why I am thinking of going that route.

Pictures and high quality videos would all be greatly appreciated. Here is a car I found with dual tips that I am really digging.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-28-2021, 05:01 PM
Niku
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought a Borla ProXS muffler and 3in outlet single tip and am in the process of pulling the exhaust to get it all welded up. From the bit of research I did that seemed to be a good combo, and Borla or Magnaflow are both good choices.

In terms of the dual tip, I'm really not sure it will be a significant sound improvement compared to just a muffler swap, or even a different single tip. If you aren't totally sold on the looks it might not be a sacrifice worth making.

I'm probably at least a few weeks from being done with everything, but if you're not in a rush I'll definitely send some videos of how it sounds or maybe make a new thread if it all goes well.

I have an '88 NA so not exactly the same as yours, but it is an 8-valve and I also plan on keeping the stock CAT so it should be similar enough.
The following users liked this post:
Jacob AbuKhader (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 08:57 PM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On my turbo car, someone had cut off the outlet side of the muffler (left 2”) and welded on a 3” extension to the stock length. The exhaust is slightly louder than stock like this and doesn’t drone. It may be a cheap option to try, even buying a section of 3” or 3 1/2” exhaust pipe as a temporary experiment.
The following users liked this post:
Jacob AbuKhader (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 09:01 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Niku
I just bought a Borla ProXS muffler and 3in outlet single tip and am in the process of pulling the exhaust to get it all welded up. From the bit of research I did that seemed to be a good combo, and Borla or Magnaflow are both good choices.

In terms of the dual tip, I'm really not sure it will be a significant sound improvement compared to just a muffler swap, or even a different single tip. If you aren't totally sold on the looks it might not be a sacrifice worth making.

I'm probably at least a few weeks from being done with everything, but if you're not in a rush I'll definitely send some videos of how it sounds or maybe make a new thread if it all goes well.

I have an '88 NA so not exactly the same as yours, but it is an 8-valve and I also plan on keeping the stock CAT so it should be similar enough.
Sounds like an interesting setup! Unfortunately my car was totaled recently but I still will always welcome sound clips. Will be useful if I end up in another 944.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:30 PM
Niku
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob AbuKhader
Sounds like an interesting setup! Unfortunately my car was totaled recently but I still will always welcome sound clips. Will be useful if I end up in another 944.
I'm really sorry to hear about that that's got to be heartbreaking. I had actually just seen your other thread about it and didn't notice you were the same user.

Glad you made it out alright, I hope your insurance cooperates and gets you back in a Porsche soon.

At the very least it's given a lot of us some peace of mind seeing how they can take a hit like that.

Quick Reply: It's a Good Day for an Exhaust Thread.