84 early 944 NA.. Fan constant on, Drains battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 07:48 PM
WC944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 84 early 944 NA.. Fan constant on, Drains battery

Hi,
I've looked at Clarks. .. The drivers side fan runs anytime the battery is connected...even when ignition is off and key is out of the car, till battery drains. I disconnected the thermo switch on the radiator... no change... then, I kept it disconnected, and pulled the silverish, upper left relay inside the cabin. (#1 slot per 944.com diagram) which I believe is the AC Cooling fan relay. No change... I thought for sure it would be one of those. With both those disconnected, the fan still runs!

A little back story... I had the fans out .. about a year ago to do the timing belt.
After, when ever I turned on the AC... the car would shake... and I felt like it was running rough... which it didn't before I did the timing belt.

Also, whenever it would get near the high end of the temperature gauge, it would run rough,.. till the temperature dropped... then it would smooth out again.

I have been in the process of moving from Illinois to Oregon.. so, working on the 944 was put on hold till getting settled here

Today, when trying to figure out the drivers side fan problem.. I recreated the shaky, rough feeling by switching on the AC while the engine wasn't running... the drivers side fan was disconnected... with the ignition on, and engine not running...I realized that the roughness was really coming from the passenger side fan ...

Right now, both fans are disconnected, at the fan, the AC fan relay in the cabin is in.. and the thermos switch is disconnected. Any suggestions as to how to proceed with trouble shooting will be appreciated..

TIA

944 in Oregon.

Last edited by WC944; 09-19-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:26 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by WC944
Hi,
I've looked at Clarks. .. The drivers side fan runs anytime the battery is connected...even when ignition is off and key is out of the car, till battery drains. I disconnected the thermo switch on the radiator... no change... then, I kept it disconnected, and pulled the silverish, upper left relay inside the cabin. (#1 slot per 944.com diagram) which I believe is the AC Cooling fan relay. No change... I thought for sure it would be one of those. With both those disconnected, the fan still runs!

A little back story... I had the fans out .. about a year ago to do the timing belt.
After, when ever I turned on the AC... the car would shake... and I felt like it was running rough... which it didn't before I did the timing belt.

Also, whenever it would get near the high end of the temperature gauge, it would run rough,.. till the temperature dropped... then it would smooth out again.

I have been in the process of moving from Illinois to Oregon.. so, working on the 944 was put on hold till getting settled here

Today, when trying to figure out the drivers side fan problem.. I recreated the shaky, rough feeling by switching on the AC while the engine wasn't running... the drivers side fan was disconnected... with the ignition on, and engine not running...I realized that the roughness was really coming from the passenger side fan ...

Right now, both fans are disconnected, at the fan, the AC fan relay in the cabin is in.. and the thermos switch is disconnected. Any suggestions as to how to proceed with trouble shooting will be appreciated..

TIA

944 in Oregon.
The drivers side fan operates at half speed energized by the thermostat switch located in the radiator. If the fan continues to run, check thermostat switch with volt ohm meter to measure resistance. Probably the switch has failed or there is a short in the wiring causing the fan to run continuously.
Once the A/C is turned on, the A/C relay energizes both fans on high speed, the radiator switch is bypassed.
The following users liked this post:
WC944 (09-25-2020)

Quick Reply: 84 early 944 NA.. Fan constant on, Drains battery