Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Incorrect Throttle Cable on my 85.5 944 NA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 12:25 AM
Jared88485
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incorrect Throttle Cable on my 85.5 944 NA?

Hi all, I'm in the middle of trying to install an Only944 Throttle Response Cam and I've ran into an issue. I can't adjust my throttle cable enough to get all of the slack out of the cable. I've been communicating with the owner of Only944 for the past couple days and we're both stumped. I'm beginning to think that my cable could be stretched/broken and needs to be replaced. But, my 85.5 car seems to have the cable from an early 944. All the information I've found online about these cables say that the adjustment location changed on the late cars to be closer to the throttle body itself. But my car has the adjustment at the firewall like the earlier cars. I've also taken a look at the parts guide for the 85.5 model and it calls for a cable with part number #944.423.023.07 which is a cable with the adjusters at the throttle body location. I've included some pictures of what my cable looks like and one of what i believe it should look like. I don't need to know how to adjust the cable, I need to figure out if my cable is correct for my car. I think that somewhere along the line, the cable snapped and was replaced with the incorrect older-style cable.

Way too much slack even after adjustment of the cable.

Here's the location that I believe the adjustment should be at on a late 944.

Backside of the throttle body adjuster location.

My adjuster location up against the firewall. Horrible place to put this by the way, Porsche.

This is not my car, but I think this is where my adjustment should be located.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:11 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 296 Posts

I have seen similar "early" parts on the 85/2 cars. Possible that the cars produced early after the transition have more remnant pieces like this.
Easy enough to change the cable assembly if that allows for the throttle cam to work.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:17 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 296 Posts

BTW It looks as though you may have adjusted yours in the wrong direction. Easy way to adjust these is to disconnect the cable from the pedal and remove the assembly from the firewall, adjust the sheathing then reinstall.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:20 AM
Jared88485
Track Day

Originally Posted by Gage
I have seen similar "early" parts on the 85/2 cars. Possible that the cars produced early after the transition have more remnant pieces like this.
Easy enough to change the cable assembly if that allows for the throttle cam to work.
So you think I could swap out this cable with the new style one for the sake of easier adjustment? I really hate the firewall location.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:21 AM
Jared88485
Track Day

Originally Posted by Gage
BTW It looks as though you may have adjusted yours in the wrong direction. Easy way to adjust these is to disconnect the cable from the pedal and remove the assembly from the firewall, adjust the sheathing then reinstall.
This is part of the reason I think its messed up. Mine got shorter when going the "wrong" direction.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:05 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Gage is right, your cable adjusts at the firewall, not at the throttle body. Yours looks to be be fully run in. in your 4th photo dead center the long hex needs to be backed out, and then locked in place withe the slim hex nut that sits in the middle. It sucks, but it is a pretty straightforward adjustment. Pull it tight until the cable is just ever so slightly loose. You will never feel the first 1/8" of slack travel.

Quick Reply: Incorrect Throttle Cable on my 85.5 944 NA?