Handbrake engaged on its own while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 01:33 PM
sanchitrathi
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handbrake engaged on its own while driving

Hi everyone,

I had a strange situation today, I was driving in the city around 50 km/h when my car started slowing down for a few seconds, then it stopped slowing down and I could accelerate for 1 or 2 seconds and then the parking brake light came on and the I think the handbrake engaged as the car jolted for like half a second, I went to the side pulled the handbrake up a bit, pressed the button and pushed the handbrake down again and the car drove just fine after that.

Thankfully this happened in the city at a low speed with no one around so it wasnt an issue, however I wouldnt like this to happen to me on the highway or something thats why I am wondering what is the cause.

At the time of the incident, the handbrake was fully down, I had already driven around 1km from my house with no issues and after that the handbrake decided to act on its own.

I have had this vehicle for 3 weeks and never had any handbrake related issues, except that sometime I had to pull it 1 click higher after parking since it rolled a bit, but after pulling higher it stopped.

Anyone here that might have a similar issue? Or might know the cause or solution to this. At this point I am afraid to use the parking brake again incase it engages while im driving again. Currently using the gear and wheel chocks.

Thank you all for your time and for your help

Kind Regards,
Sanchit
Old 07-12-2020, 08:30 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 283 Posts

Sounds like the brake shoe retaining spring hooks may be broken or otherwise not holding the parking brake shoes in the proper base position.

Quick Reply: Handbrake engaged on its own while driving