944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

AP Racing Brakes on Porsche 944

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020 | 06:34 PM
sanchitrathi
AutoX

Default AP Racing Brakes on Porsche 944

Hey everyone,

I am looking to do a brake upgrade before I do any wheel upgrade on my 944. I was looking at AP Racing since I think they are quite a good brand and I've had experience with them before (Formula Student).
I just wanted to know if anyone is running any disc and calipers from AP Racing. If yes then which one?

I look forward to your replies!
Old 07-08-2020 | 01:32 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

That would be somewhat of an overkill for a 944 ... the stock brakes are plenty powerful and some people upgrade to turbo or "S" brakes
which is probably a lot cheaper than AP brake systems.
I have stock N/A brakes on my race car with Hawk blue pads and i never ran out of brakes on track, even in a 90 minute Enduro !

Mind you , i installed 996TT brakes with a Fabcar dual master on my 89 911 ... that is definitely overkill ...

Cheers
Phil
The following users liked this post:
sanchitrathi (07-09-2020)
Old 07-08-2020 | 08:47 PM
sanchitrathi
AutoX

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your reply, that was quite insightful. Most of my cars use is road but I am looking attend a few track days at Zandvoort, Assen, Nurburgring and Spa. I was looking for brakes that would be useful on the road (regarding temperatures) and not have thermal issues after multi lap use. In your opinion the stock brakes are able to achieve that?

I also ask this question right now as I do have to change my discs soon as I have some wobble/vibration while braking, and was thinking of doing the upgrade at the same time. However I have heard that an upgrade to turbo or S brakes is a big undertaking and is not just a matter of caliper and disc change.

Thanks for your time and your advice!

Regards,
Sanchit
Old 07-09-2020 | 08:47 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Porterfield R4 brake pads are good racing pads and easy on rotors. If planning to track car, could consider installing brake duct shields at the steering spindle and using openings in front balance for air induction into brake duct shield. It takes a 3 inch flexible hose.
Old 07-09-2020 | 10:14 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Sanchit , the original 944 brakes are plenty powerful for street and track driving !
T&T has a good point in regards to cooling, you can add the cooling ducts which are specifically made for our application , they bolt on to the spindles ,and just replace
your pads with a more aggressive compound when you plan on playing on the track with your car.

As far as brake discs , i would stay away from anything drilled , although they look cool you are better off with a slotted unit if you can
find some.On my 89 911 , i swapped the brake system for a 996 TT setup and i managed to crack the 996 OEM drilled Zimmermans , i then switched to slotted Sebros and never had any disc issues afterwards.
The thing about a 944 on the track is that it’s a momentum car .... you want to brake as less as possible ... lol
You’ll figure it out after some hot laps

Cheers
Phil

Old 07-09-2020 | 06:52 PM
sanchitrathi
AutoX

Thank you Phil and T&T,
Thanks for sharing your experience and expertise in the matter. This gives me a good idea of what I should do.I will definitely look down the cooling duct route.

Regarding what I can do with the discs, I definitely do not want to go with drilled, the heat cycles lead to crack formation between the holes. I have seen some Brembo replacement ones but I would like to get some slotted ones. Which Brings me to 2 questions
1. Do you have any recommendations for slotted discs for front and rear discs for the 944?
2. Is it true that the rear discs are larger than the front discs? (front 282mm, rear 289mm)

Along with the discs I had some questions about the brake pads, T&T suggested Porterfield R4 pads, but I have the following questions:
1. Do the porterfield R4 pads have the notch for the wear indicator?
2. Are there any other brake pads good for track and road use (Ive heard good things about EBC yellow) and do the brake pads have a notch for the wear indicator.

Thank you guys once again for all your help, its much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Sanchit
Old 07-10-2020 | 12:32 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

EBS Racing and I believe Pelican Parts has slotted front rotor discs. Rear slotted disc is overkill because rear braking is only 25% of total braking. Porterfield R4's are racing pads; there is a vertical open slot for heat expansion, but no enclosed slot to hold temperature sensor.

Quick Reply: AP Racing Brakes on Porsche 944