944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Airbag Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 03:14 PM
tperkowski
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airbag Control Unit

My mechanic thinks I have a bad Porsche Control Unit, #944.618.917.00. The unit controls the airbags and senses if the seatbelts are fastened.

The main hazard light along with the seatbelt and airbag dash lights will not go out. He says it will not respond to his computer. It was working just fine then the idiot lights would not go out. I'm not sure how it went bad as the airbags have never been deployed. Unfortunately, they are no longer available from Porsche. I have an alert set-up on eBay to see if one becomes available.

Does anyone know if these can be rebuilt by a talented electrical wiz? If you are out there I'd be happy to send you the unit to see if it is salvageable.

Alternately is there a fix to the problem my mechanic may not be aware of? Or, if any of you 944 race car drivers out there have one sitting around I'd be happy to buy it from you.

Thanks,
Tom Perkowski
1990 944S2 Cabriolet Guards Red
Old 06-29-2020, 05:15 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

You could always disconect the bags, just did this on my 91 cab. Airbags have a 10 year life for the most part. These early airbags are the reason for seatbelt laws in the USA. When airbags first came here we looked at the European standards and said they were too wimpy! We demanded our airbags come out faster and harder, because faster and harder are always better. Right? Well, the result of faster and harder in airbags is death. So we got mandatory seatbelt laws to keep you from coming in contact with these death bags. Not sure where you are, but if in the US I would do some research into early airbags to see if you want them.
Just as a quick aside, nothing to do with P cars but BMW. When I had BMW e36 I considered changing to a newer steering wheel. I asked my mechanic about the airbag situation. His response was not to worry about it. After dismantling over 100 crashed he has never seen a deployed air bag. Hss anyone ever seen a 944 deployed airbag?

Quick Reply: Airbag Control Unit