944 vibration and diesely noise [update/attempt 2]

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 04:43 PM
Jyo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 vibration and diesely noise [update/attempt 2]

Hi,

Sorry for the -more or less- repost, but I'm having some issues with my previous post (can't attach video or respond to the thread), so I thought I'd try again. Also thanks for the replies on the previous thread, but without video it was probably hard to really have hard conclusions (even harder than with them). My engine is acting weird after I brought it to a garage. It vibrates and doesn't sound well at all. I've attached two videos.

My car is a 1984 944 type I (february). I imported it from the US (to the Netherlands) a few years ago and it has been treating me well for the most part. Diff is too whingy, but I've gotten used to it. This year though after I got it from winter storage though (3 months), there were some issues. So I bought it to a garage and they did some TLC on it. Had a new wiper motor installed, two new tyres, some suspension bits, brake fluid, some rubbers, that kind of stuff. On the engine they didn't really do anything, except one of the belts was squealing so they tightened it. Not the balance shaft or distribution belt, but the 'v-belt' (I'm not sure if this translates well, technical terms are hard).

Despite this, immediately upon driving it back from the shop I became aware of a vibration coming through the steering wheel. Engine power seems fine, oil pressure is okay, doesn't get hotter than usual, but there's a vibration throughout the rev range and also stationary, clutch in or out. It's felt mostly through the steering wheel and shifter, but if you really feel close the entire car is vibrating. It's also enough to make the hood shake. I went back to the shop, but they kind of assured me it wasn't a big worry and to call if it got worse. Then I went cross country (all 200 miles of it) and it seems to have gotten worse. There's a ticking noise now that I haven't noticed before. The whole driveline shakes and I think this can never be good for the car. So...kind of worried the whole thing is pretty much blown and asking myself if I should even drive/run it at all anymore (OTOH maybe at this point it's a goner anyway)...Ideas?

*earlier I said the ticking noise predates the vibration, but I meant the opposite!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7793.MOV (1.86 MB, 27 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_7796.MOV (4.77 MB, 32 views)

Last edited by Jyo; 05-13-2020 at 08:39 PM. Reason: earlier I said the ticking noise predates the vibration, but I meant the opposite!
Old 05-14-2020, 04:12 AM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

The ticking sound is likely to be the fuel injectors and that sound is normal.

The vibration is not. The 944 engine has 2 counter-rotating balance shafts that make the engine silky smooth at any rpm. If your balance shafts are not set correctly, they will cause a significant vibration at all rpms and can destroy your engine mounts and other things connected to your engine including fuel rail mounts, exhaust, etc. I would check this immediately. It’s likely the cause of your shaking hood.

Also check your engine mounts, they could have sustained damage as well. They could also contribute to new noises in your engine bay.

Check out Clark’s garage (clarksgarage.com) for setting balance shaft belts.

if you don’t know the condition of your timing and balance shaft belts and rollers, it’s time to check. This is an interference engine and major damage can be caused by a belt letting go. I would not start the engine again until I inspected both timing/balance shaft belts and rollers.

good luck.

Quick Reply: 944 vibration and diesely noise [update/attempt 2]