944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Engine Running Rich

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 07:55 PM
veil
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Running Rich

At this point, I'm pretty certain my engine is running rich. It was getting nearly 10 mpg, smells like gasoline frequently, and the exhaust is super sooty (filled with carbon?).

I'm not too great with cars but some google searches came up with a few different results relating to spark plugs or possibly the oxygen sensor among other things. I'd be willing to go through these one by one and see if they're the problem but was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue. My 944 is from 1983.

On a side note, after driving over large, wide speed bumps (probably about 10 in a row) at low speeds, in 2nd or 3rd gear, the engine floods when I give it gas. I either have to take it to redline to get that fuel out of there (which makes me look like a douche) or just give it some time. Has anyone had similar issues? If you have a theory let me know!

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:10 PM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also getting 10-11 mpg in my 2005 911 997.1 C2. I have only had the car a couple of months so I am wondering if thats normal too.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:45 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by veil
At this point, I'm pretty certain my engine is running rich. It was getting nearly 10 mpg, smells like gasoline frequently, and the exhaust is super sooty (filled with carbon?).

I'm not too great with cars but some google searches came up with a few different results relating to spark plugs or possibly the oxygen sensor among other things. I'd be willing to go through these one by one and see if they're the problem but was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue. My 944 is from 1983.

On a side note, after driving over large, wide speed bumps (probably about 10 in a row) at low speeds, in 2nd or 3rd gear, the engine floods when I give it gas. I either have to take it to redline to get that fuel out of there (which makes me look like a douche) or just give it some time. Has anyone had similar issues? If you have a theory let me know!

Thanks for the help guys.
Smell your oil, if fit smells like fuel you are getting a huge amount dumped in your engine. I would bet on a FPR more than anything, pull the vac line coming from it. It's on the fuel injector rail end that is closer to windshield. If you pull the vac line off the nipple if it's wet or smells like fuel change our the FPR and go a head and do the spark plugs as they will be fouled from all the fuel anyway. The 02 sensor failing shouldn't give you that much fuel that your mentioning and generally these cars don't rely much on them like some cars do, you can even disconnect it and if it runs better then the 02 would be needing replaced if by change it is the issue.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:49 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

The circled one is the FPR the other is the Damper to reduce injector pulses.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:50 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Also use the website below it will help you with car issues, always feel free to post in here as well but this is a great resource. These cars especially the NA are easy to work on so just take your time and don't be afraid to ask anything.

www.clarks-garage.com

Quick Reply: Engine Running Rich