944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Porsche 944 clutch line

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 08:35 PM
nocomment
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 944 clutch line

Recently my clutch master cylinder decided to vomit its brake fluid all over my carpet. While in the process of removing the master cylinder the fitting on the end of the hard line that goes from the master cylinder to the flex line that leads to the slave cylinder twisted off, ruining the hard line. Ian from 944 online sells a replacement for $100 which is pretty steep for me. I was looking at a universal -3an braided brake line like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Braided-Sta...e/381322935408 and was wondering what size fittings the master cylinder is, as well as the flex line, as well as the slave cylinder, so I can purchase fitting adapters. I'd like to bypass all of the clutch hard line and factory flex line if I can, and this seems like a cheaper and more replaceable alternative to factory parts. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-26-2020, 01:58 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Just make up a new hard line or get one at an Auto-parts store... Bring the old one with you and have them match it.. They are metric NOT STD adapters not needed... just buy the right fittings. If you end up having $10 into it, that would be allot. They sell bendable metric brake line in various lengths. Just out of Sheer Curiosity, What part of owning a 30 year old Porsche did you think was going to be cheap?
Old 02-26-2020, 02:55 PM
nocomment
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Just make up a new hard line or get one at an Auto-parts store... Bring the old one with you and have them match it.. They are metric NOT STD adapters not needed... just buy the right fittings. If you end up having $10 into it, that would be allot. They sell bendable metric brake line in various lengths. Just out of Sheer Curiosity, What part of owning a 30 year old Porsche did you think was going to be cheap?
Thread size ended up being m12-1.0. I ended up spending around $40 for the line and adapters. I've daily driven this car for the past 4 years and have replaced/rebuilt the motor, swapped the transmission, etc etc so I know it isn't cheap. I just meant I don't like paying more for porsche specific parts if I don't have to. I'd much rather replace failed factory parts with something off the shelf if it works as well. The hard line isn't a 944 specific thing but the half hard line half flex line from the slave cylinder is, and this AN brake line bypasses all of that. So now I have a clutch line that I can more easily replace and is more readily available than the factory components. The clutch feels the same and doesn't leak. This is the second time I've replaced the clutch master cylinder(once when I first got the car) so if I ever have to do it again I won't have to worry about the line being seized the fitting.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:05 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Go check out a dealer of hydarulic fittings such as AeroQuip. They call the metric fittings (JIC) and have a bunch of adapters to go between metric and AN fittings. Hope this helps some.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:52 AM
nocomment
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Go check out a dealer of hydarulic fittings such as AeroQuip. They call the metric fittings (JIC) and have a bunch of adapters to go between metric and AN fittings. Hope this helps some.

they look like this, basically replace the flare fitting on the hard line with an adapter

Last edited by nocomment; 03-09-2020 at 04:54 AM. Reason: bad image link

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 clutch line