1983 DME Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 07:30 PM
Noahjh
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy 1983 DME Troubleshooting

Hello
So about a week ago my 1983 944 quit running. Bit of a bummer, it will crank but not fire. Today I got around to checking out the issue and I believe that I have narrowed it down to the DME. I have no tach bounce and I checked the resistance coming from the speed and reference sensor and made sure to check it back by the DME connector as well to make sure it was not a wiring issue. I did not have an oscilloscope as per Clark's Garage's instructions so could not check the voltage during cranking but I'm pretty sure that if the resistance is fine, there's no reason to believe my speed and reference sensors are messed up since I daily drove my car until the day it stopped working. Anyway this lead me to removing my DME. A new one isn't exactly in my budget of $0 as of now and I would like to think I know how to solder, at least I bought a kit a while back so I might as well put it to use. It is pretty obvious someone has been in my DME before as per the stripped screws, however once inside everything looked fine to me. Where on the board should I be looking? Also, there seems to be a lot of solder joints bridged to each other. Is that normal? If I resolder those leads to I HAVE to make sure to bridge all of the same connections? There also seems to be some THT components that have no solder on them at all. I can't imagine this being my problem since if it was, it never would have worked in the first place. I have already read Sharky and gregeast's write up on hear but neither were able to help me. Just wanted some advice before I begin to resolder everything on this board. I will attatch high res pictures of the board below so maybe someone with a better eye than me can spot a bad solder joint.
Thanks

Overview of board

Example of bridged solder joints and unsoldered THT leads.

Detailed photo of board left

Detailed photo of board right

Quick Reply: 1983 DME Troubleshooting