944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

New Year’s project for my 84 944, looking for some help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 10:53 AM
rg0115
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Default New Year’s project for my 84 944, looking for some help/advice

Happy New Year everyone. Looking for some help and advice, I am a modest weekend mechanic but not afraid to try anything. My new year’s resolution was to spend more time addressing issues with my 84 944 and use it over the winter month. The car has been in storage but I got her back out a few weeks ago. I also have a 993 but I try not to drive her once the first salt is on the road. I have a few projects planned for that car as well, but that is after I get the 944 back on the road.

The reason the 944 was in storage for so long was that I couldn’t find a glass shop in town that wanted to touch the rear hatch glass that was separating from the frame. All the shops I talked to were fearful of breaking it so they didn’t want to touch it. Anyway, I decided to do it myself. So far it’s holding, not what you call professional but hopefully, it will hold. Here are few pics of that repair.

I also addressed my rear CV joints and noticed that my transmission seal was leaking, so hopefully, when I drop the trans to address the clutch there is a seal I can buy and address it at that point. If anyone knows the part number, that would be great.

My e-brake was not working when I bought the car and I finally got a chance to look at it. Turns out it was a much easier fix than I anticipated. This spring release button that release the brake came of the little latch/lock mechanism and was pretty easy to put back together.

Next was to address my driver's side door, it would only open really hard, so I took the door panel off and took the door latch out to see if the latch linkage was the culprit. Not sure that replacing the door latch linkage will fix the problem as the door handle button assembly has lots of wear where it goes into the linkage. See the photo with red error and video below. Suggestion on this would be great, do I need a new door handle? If so, does anyone have one they want to sell?

My driver side sun visor came off, any suggestion on how to fix this? Doesn’t look like you can buy that part without getting a complete new sun visor. Anyone done any 3D printing of this part?

Most important and next on my list is going to be the timing belt, I am not sure if or when it was ever done. So this is important for me to address. Recommendation on where to buy a timing belt kit is also much appreciated. It seems there is lots of info online for DYI steps, so once I dive into it and have further questions, I will reach out.

Once the timing belt is done, I think I need to address the clutch. I have weird grinding noises coming from what seems to be from the clutch plate. I am not good explaining the noise, but when I push the clutch in the noise goes away. Maybe the clutch disk rubber damper on the original clutch is worn and falling apart. I will try to take some video of the noise when I get a chance. In the meantime, isn’t there a way to check the status of the clutch from under the car? Isn’t there a hole you can look into to see? Again suggestions appreciated.

That’s it for now, thanks in advance for everyone that will chime in. I look forward to getting the car back on the road and enjoying that almost 50/50 weight distribution what makes driving this car such fun. Cheers, Robert

Old 01-03-2020, 02:37 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Good work on all of your repairs! You must be single to get to do that hatch repair on the dining room table.

If your clutch noise disappears when you depress the pedal it is probably a bad throwout bearing (at least).

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:07 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 547 Posts

There is an inspection hole on the bottom of the bellhousing that you can use to try and diagnose clutch degradation issues. From what I understand it's not always perfect but if it is the rubber that's going, I've read posts of people able to see some of the rubber bits down in there. The hole is down near the starter and since you've got the car up you can find it pretty easily.

Good luck! I'm impressed with your willingness to jump into some pretty intimidating repairs.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2020, 09:26 PM
rg0115
Pro

Originally Posted by Spring44
Good work on all of your repairs! You must be single to get to do that hatch repair on the dining room table.

If your clutch noise disappears when you depress the pedal it is probably a bad throwout bearing (at least).

Good luck and keep us posted.
LOL, thanks I am not single but still live on my own with my 2 twin boys who are only 9. I work where I can find room. Throwout bearing sounds like a whole you clutch job. Considering my car has just under 80K miles, I am sure all of that is still original and will need to be done. A new project I can geek out over. Don't mind it and actually enjoy doing all the research and then tackling the job on my own. I just started my timing belt job and looks like I have an OEM water pump. I guess that will be one of those things while in you are in there I need to address. Hate to put everything back to together only to have the water pump fail soon.

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
There is an inspection hole on the bottom of the bellhousing that you can use to try and diagnose clutch degradation issues. From what I understand it's not always perfect but if it is the rubber that's going, I've read posts of people able to see some of the rubber bits down in there. The hole is down near the starter and since you've got the car up you can find it pretty easily.

Good luck! I'm impressed with your willingness to jump into some pretty intimidating repairs.

Cheers
Thanks. Anything is possible and with the help of the online community and many videos out there I find it fun to tackle these jobs, plus I save a bundle. Anyway, I will check it out, I took the starter out last night and will take a closer look. Looks like a new clutch is on the horizon anyway. If anyone has any recommendations on where to get a good price on a kit, I would love to hear it. Cheers again and I will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:46 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

A clutch job on a 944 may sound formidable, but I replaced mine at 95k, using only jack stands and a floor jack to lower the transmission. If your rubber clutch center is broken, you should be able to hear a distinct clunk when you engage the clutch or let off of the gas when driving. There are metal tabs in the clutch plate sliding inside an adjacent slot to keep the clutch from just freewheeling when the rubber center breaks. When the tab hits the end of its travel in the slot, that is where the clunking sound is coming from. You can pull the torque tube back far enough to do the clutch once the tranny is out.
I like the high quality rebuilt water pumps from Zimms Autotechnik in Bedford,TX so I usually get my belts and pulleys from there as well. They can get you the '87-up pump with the belt guard on it if you'll tell them what you are wanting. I don't remember where I got the clutch parts.

Good luck!

Last edited by Spring44; 01-03-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:04 PM
UK_in_NY
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, Nice work on the hatch. yours was in much worse shape than mine but it is a job I'll have to address at some point.
You asked about timing belt kit - I jut did mine and ordered the parts from FCP Euro - seemed perfect. Had replacement everything. (rollers, tensioners etc) and felt reasonably priced.

The following users liked this post:
rg0115 (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 03:50 PM
rg0115
Pro

Originally Posted by UK_in_NY
Hi, Nice work on the hatch. yours was in much worse shape than mine but it is a job I'll have to address at some point.
You asked about timing belt kit - I jut did mine and ordered the parts from FCP Euro - seemed perfect. Had replacement everything. (rollers, tensioners etc) and felt reasonably priced.
Thanks I also saw that kit and noticed that ECS tunning has one as well and looks to be a better deal. Cheers
Old 01-10-2020, 06:17 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

If you never adjusted your door handle before you can try that. Just unscrew the threaded rod that connects to the latch. If you have enough adjustment you can get a little more life from the handle.
you can also buy handle repair kits that replace the trigger. Have no idea of the quality of this kit and am not sure, but I don't think it includes the other part that it sits in and wears.
rg0115 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:47 PM
jsnacker
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice project I am in process of LS swapping my early 83’ 944.
rg0115 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 11:16 AM
brooklyn944
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I *might* have a one of those sun visor thingys sitting around in my box of spares. But that box is in my 944 and she's spending the winter in Upstate NY. If you can't find one by springtime, let me know and I'll see if I have it. Seems like one of those parts that could be 3D printing relatively easy too.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:40 AM
rg0115
Pro

Originally Posted by brooklyn944
I *might* have a one of those sun visor thingys sitting around in my box of spares. But that box is in my 944 and she's spending the winter in Upstate NY. If you can't find one by springtime, let me know and I'll see if I have it. Seems like one of those parts that could be 3D printing relatively easy too.
Thanks for your offer to check. I will let you know if I can't source one and check in later in the spring. Cheers..
Old 01-29-2020, 06:33 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 547 Posts

You can also post requests here: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...yard-find.html

There's going to be a new trip so this is the time to ask for parts.

It's a great offer to help other RL'ers and he delivers as promised.

Cheers
Old 01-29-2020, 07:19 PM
rg0115
Pro

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
You can also post requests here: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...yard-find.html

There's going to be a new trip so this is the time to ask for parts.

It's a great offer to help other RL'ers and he delivers as promised.

Cheers
Perfect, I just reach out on the post. Much appreciated.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:13 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 132 Posts

I recommend this little boroscope:
https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-Inspection-Borescope-Waterproof-Windows-16-4ft/dp/B07ZH7K7TZ/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=borescope&qid=1580447155&sr=8-16 https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-Inspection-Borescope-Waterproof-Windows-16-4ft/dp/B07ZH7K7TZ/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=borescope&qid=1580447155&sr=8-16

I bought it and you can shove it pretty deep into the inspection hole and see the pressure plate, release bearing, and fork. I can vouch that it works great and surprisingly excellent quality video.

When you do the clutch, consider replacing your clutch fork. They are not usually part of the kits but are currently available new from Porsche. Not long ago, I changed out my original clutch; the disk itself is still good (half worn to spec) but the release bearing went. In my case, the noise came when depressing the pedal--a horrible grinding noise. Anyway, I did the entire clutch job and the only part I didn't replace was the fork. It broke this November

My hatch may be starting to separate; if so, I may be asking for some procedure. You make it look easy!
Old 01-31-2020, 01:32 PM
rg0115
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
I have one of those scopes, not the same but similar. I will give it a try. Anyway, feel free to reach out when you get going on your hatch. Cheers

Quick Reply: New Year’s project for my 84 944, looking for some help/advice