944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Help with Crash Analysis of 944

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 01:19 PM
rbm23
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Crash Analysis of 944

I was taking a bend a little too fast in my 944 and ended up sliding sideways and hitting a tree on the side of the road. The tree was about 12 inches in diameter and it did break, so some of the impact was absorbed by the tree.

I hit the tree going about 35 mph. The impact was made directly on the rear, passenger side wheel. Because the wheel didn't budge much during the impact, the exterior isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The rear quarter panel is toast, but the back hatch and passenger door still open.

But here is where it gets messy...

With the engine running, I can hold the engine at 3K RPM and shift gears without the clutch engaged. The only thing I hear when doing so is some rattling when the gears are fully engaged. The rattling is not loud.

Can anyone give me an educated guess on whether the transmission is shot? Or even better, a suggestion on what might be the problem.

I wrecked the car while on a business trip in Ft. Lauderdale and the car is still in my friend's driveway. I am trying to figure out my plan on what to do with the car. If the transmission doesn't need to be replaced then the cost to get the car fixed will be more feasible. I can only afford to spend about $5,000 right now.

Thanks for any info in advance!

Rip

"Look what they did to my boy... They massacred my boy..."
-The Godfather
Old 02-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear this news

did you buy this car new ?

is that why you are hoping it can be saved ?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:08 PM
rbm23
Advanced

My father bought it new in 1986 when I was 10. I took over doing all the routine maintenace and weekly detailing when I was 13. I ended up buying it from him when I was 20 and have owned it ever since.

The car has 130K miles on it, and it looked like the day it rolled off the lot before the accident. I was obsessed with that car. Not only do I have a log of everything ever done to the car written in the back of the manual, I also have every receipt from any work not done by me since day one. My obsession with the car was so pathetic that I have kept every original part that I had to replace. Everything from floor mats to the slave cylinder.

I know the blue book value of the car is (or was) around $5K, but I wouldn't trade my 944 even for a brand new 911. Anyone with the money can buy a new 911, but 944 owners who keep their cars looking like brand new represent everything that the Porsche name stands for.

Ugh... I can't beleive this happened...
Old 02-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

then I'd get it fixed

have a reliable shop determine if the chassis is bent (if roof or floor is bulged, would be a sure sign)

change the quarter panel, and the whole back transaxle/carrier assembly (including axle shafts, wheels etc) from a junked '86...(Florida should have lots of them) & align 4 wheels

just my opinion
Old 02-28-2004, 12:40 AM
RacingPorsche
Racer

My condolences about the car.

No one is perfect, and no matter how much we want our cars to be perfect,

sometimes it's the imperfections that create the value of character.

I say you should fix it and keep treating it right, just as you have since you were 13. It appears your concern is mainly for the transaxle. I feel a used transmission will be one of the rather cheaper items for the repair (that is if it is the transmission and not the linkage to the shift rod).
I picked up a used tranny with unknown mileage. It was a risk but for $700 it was all I could afford (from a local independent Porsche mechanic). Even though I have no idea how many miles are on it, it doesn't matter, I have never felt smother shifts! I replaced it myself, in my garage with a jack and two cinderblocks.

After you get the car fixed and looking like it did when it rolled off the assembly line again, it will look great AND you will have a cool battle story to tell of scars that can't be seen.

-Chris
Old 02-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rip...
You know Ian in Pompano, don't you? He's most likely got everything you
need. Think it's Ian's Euro Auto Parts or something like that. Just about 2 miles west of Champion Porsche on Copans road.

Jim 1987 944S

Quick Reply: Help with Crash Analysis of 944