944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

19" wheels on 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 12:44 AM
peter_euro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by IanM
First of all...Porsche never offered 17" wheels for the 944...at least not that I've ever heard of. Yes, they were offered with the 968.

The deal with the steering rack is two-fold. First off, 18" tires/wheels tend to be heavier than 17" or 16", even with the same overall diameter (okay...unless you ponied up the cash for some nice forged 18" Fikses...). That increased unsprung weight adds stress to the suspension and steering components. Secondly, many people running 18" wheels end up with a larger rolling diameter. If this is combined with a lowered ride height, the geometry of the control arms and tie rods can be altered - ie. they can actually be higher at the wheel end than at the chassis end. This can also cause increased stress on these components.
17in were a factory option on both, later 951 and on 944S2 with sport suspension. Owner's manual clearly indicates it... If you are familiar with plus concept, the idea is to increase the wheel diameter and decrease the tire sidewall height to preserve the same rolling diameter...

The weight differences are either neglible or actually there is a reduction in the wheel weight (wheel technology did advance over years...), plus the tire weight is reduced from that lower sidewall height...

Thus, the problems you have indicated are not applicable...
Old 03-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea, but even if they're the same weight, the rotational moment of inertia will be further out from the center with a bigger rim and essentially make the wheels harder to accelerate or decelerate (stress on drivetrain and / or brakes) and induce a larger gyroscopic precession in the rotating disc. Not to mention the obvious problems of getting them to fit correctly and not rub against fenders (although these problems are fixable enough).
Old 03-27-2004, 01:05 AM
peter_euro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Yea, but even if they're the same weight, the rotational moment of inertia will be further out from the center with a bigger rim and essentially make the wheels harder to accelerate or decelerate (stress on drivetrain and / or brakes) and induce a larger gyroscopic precession in the rotating disc. Not to mention the obvious problems of getting them to fit correctly and not rub against fenders (although these problems are fixable enough).
LOL, I think you guys are worriors as in worrying too much... I am running 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 and never had a single problem with either rubbing or accelerated wear on suspension components (I am running 18s for over 5 years now). When picking rims of any size, you should always pick rims that are made specifically for the vehicle, which I have... LOL... there is no difference in outer diameter and the rotational moment is changed only by the difference in sidewall flex... do your math and see what the actual percentage would be, you may discover that is very small... The benefits in handling gains far outweigh the negatives, and this is based on personal observations since I have actually done this...

Quick Reply: 19" wheels on 944