944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 Wont Start (no crank)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Aaron George
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 944 Wont Start (no crank)

Hey folks... Im stumped. I have an 85' 944 that wont start. It has recently been running great, no problems. But when I went to start it today, I got nothing. When I turn the key, all the warning lights come on, radio and other instruments come on. But when I try to start the car, I get nothing. It doesnt crank, no clicks, no life at all. I'm a beginner, so not sure where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Open the hood and check the battery connections; one of them may have gotten loose

If not, turn on the headlights. Are they on and bright? If so, try starting while your buddy stares at the lights. Do they dim or go out completely?

The above is to test for battery issue. Hey.. it's caught me once or twice over the years
Old 10-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A habit that I've gotten into is to clean the battery posts/cables every couple of oil changes. Check your battery with a multimeter-a fully charged 12 volt should have about 12.6 volts and the charging battery should be receiving at least 13.5 volts. Check and fill the cells with distilled water. I've read others that have had trouble with the ignition switch and that's a inexpensive fix(Clark's Garage will most likely have a write up)Check your grounds,there are a bunch and there is a diagram online with all of them-clean and secure the area/ bolts.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:21 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron George
Hey folks... Im stumped. I have an 85' 944 that wont start. It has recently been running great, no problems. But when I went to start it today, I got nothing. When I turn the key, all the warning lights come on, radio and other instruments come on. But when I try to start the car, I get nothing. It doesnt crank, no clicks, no life at all. I'm a beginner, so not sure where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Does your car have a volt meter.? The reading should be about 12 v with ignition key to accessory position. When ignition key is turned to start, the minimum voltage to crank the engine is 9v. Sounds like a bad battery if connections are tight, no excessive corrosion on terminals. Remove the battery and take it to auto parts store. Ask them to do a loaf test on the battery. Could be an internal short
Old 10-16-2019, 06:51 PM
AidedGauge
Track Day

Don't know if this would be of any help, but if for some reason none of what's been said is the problem, I had a similar issue where one day I went out to start the car and got no crank but all the lights. At first I thought it was a bad battery, so I checked it, although it was shown to be perfectly fine. I was a bit stumped, and my next thought was that the starter was broken, but then I remembered a video I watched a long time ago where someone went underneath their car, and hit the starter with a rubber mallet a couple times, so I thought why not try it.

Got under the car while my father helped by turning the key, and with a few hits I heard the starter gear engage and it fired right up. Keep in mind he was cranking the car over while I was underneath, so I'm not 100% sure if 2 people were necessary, but nonetheless that worked for me. I don't know the reason for it, maybe my starter just got stuck, but since then I've never had a problem with the car turning over. Possibly just a one time thing.

Last edited by AidedGauge; 10-16-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 10-16-2019, 07:43 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by AidedGauge
Got under the car while my father helped by turning the key ... Keep in mind he was cranking the car over while I was underneath
Now that's family
Old 10-17-2019, 09:50 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Sounds like starter solenoid stuck

Last edited by T&T Racing; 10-17-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:22 AM
Aaron George
3rd Gear

Default Still won’t start

Appreciate everyone’s great advice, tips, and tricks. So i thought I had the problem solved, when I went ahead and installed a brand new battery. And it worked for a couple days. Just recently went all around my Ohio town, running errands with no issues. The car did have that same starting issue, that morning, but then started normally (like nothing was ever wrong) later that same day. Now with a brand new battery, it’s doing the same thing and it’s consistently not starting. So when the key is turned, lights and instruments still come on, but did notice that the cars volt meter is registering low 8-9 volts. When I tried this morning, the volt meter was almost reading nothing when key was turned. Not sure what could be draining a battery that’s just days old. When Key is put in, headlights shine brightly, but when key is turned to start car, headlights do go out temporarily. So it seems like it’s some electrical issue, involving the battery, that’s causing intermediate starting issues. But being a beginner, I’m still stumped.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked the battery connection to the starter/solenoid? Have you checked the charging rate with a multimeter? Inspect the battery cables and check out clarks-garage.com on the battery info. There is a host of information there for you.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:35 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Sounds like the alternator is not charging the battery. Jumper the battery or put the battery on a charger.
When the engine does start, observe the voltage on the voltmeter, it should be around 14v. If less, then either the alternator has an issue, could be the voltage regulator, or the alternator belt is loose.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:02 AM
Khrystos Yika
1st Gear

Unhappy I just changed my starter and car wont start and doesnt have a crank

Hello I was enjoying my 944 and had no problem turning on up until my friend hops into the car and turns it off for me, It was running and now it wont turn on and doesn't even crank. The only sound you hear is the fuel pump humming in the back and my lights go on and everything, and i got my battery tested and it said it works fine, and I tried jumping it with my mobile jump starter but nothing happened. Im really bummed out because my car was ready to paint. I also got my old starter tested at autozone and it was broken and I thought it would have been the starter so I ordered one straight from autozone and now I got it and replaced it and Still no crank or start just the fuel pump humming. I need help and advice!

Khrystos Yika
Old 04-20-2022, 11:38 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

Clarks garage is an incredible resource - recommend bookmarking and reading through it
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ts-01.htm
The following users liked this post:
vacuumnoise (08-12-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 10:18 PM
poirsche
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Khrystos Yika
Hello I was enjoying my 944 and had no problem turning on up until my friend hops into the car and turns it off for me, It was running and now it wont turn on and doesn't even crank. The only sound you hear is the fuel pump humming in the back and my lights go on and everything, and i got my battery tested and it said it works fine, and I tried jumping it with my mobile jump starter but nothing happened. Im really bummed out because my car was ready to paint. I also got my old starter tested at autozone and it was broken and I thought it would have been the starter so I ordered one straight from autozone and now I got it and replaced it and Still no crank or start just the fuel pump humming. I need help and advice!

Khrystos Yika
yeh checking in did you ever find your issue?
Old 11-05-2022, 12:17 PM
944StaceyQ
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you checked your ignition switch?

It’s not exactly the easiest to get to as you have to remove your steering wheel and brittle plastic column surrounds, but might be worth a replacement. They are cheap and if you get in there, replace it.

Quick Reply: 944 Wont Start (no crank)