944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Water pump scratch, and thermostat confusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 06:49 PM
AidedGauge
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump scratch, and thermostat confusion

So the saga of a newbie changing his belts continues... I've managed to get all the belts, rollers, and water pump off the car, so I'm finally ready to install new parts, but after doing some reading online I'm still torn on what to do in regards to my thermostat situation. I currently have a Vernet 80°C thermostat that came in a kit, although based upon the negative responses to non-OEM thermostats, I'm very tempted to get an OEM instead rather than have to take out the thermostat again should I have a problem with it. Additionally, the Vernet thermostat looks to have a smaller inner diameter than the OEM ones. So what I'm unsure about is:

1. Should I get an 80°C vs 83°C? When I removed my old thermostat, it was a Wahler 83°C that someone replaced at one point, however I'm not sure if getting a 80°C would be that much of an improvement in terms of cooling (The car is an early '83, so I believe it came with an 80°C from the factory as well). My car tends to get hot in city traffic/slow driving, but I understand this could be a result of many different things, not just a thermostat (I also live in Texas and get high 90-100°F temps almost daily).

2. If I should get an 80°C, does anyone know where to find an OEM/Wahler one that isn't 83°C? When I look online for thermostats that fit the new updated water pumps, all I can find are 83°C ones, or the website simply doesn't say. I've found OEM 80°C thermostats for the older style pumps, but obviously my car doesn't have that type anymore.

Lastly, the water pump I received has a scratch on the gasket surface and I don't know if it's bad enough to warrant sending it back. It looks to be very shallow as I can't catch the scratch with my finger nails, so I'm inclined to believe it's alright, but again I'm not 100%. Thanks!:

Old 10-04-2019, 08:46 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

Your new water pump will seal fine. Just install it with a new gasket, sans sealant, and torque to spec.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:51 PM
mensoruben
5th Gear

It would be easier if you replace the pump when you change the thermostat , there's much more room when the thermostat is out to fit the pump back in and correct you'll be fine with the seal on the gasket, but you wont notice any difference if you put a cooler thermo in the difference is to small. in temp or power
Old 10-08-2019, 07:27 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Lindsey Racing has a variety of water pumps and thermostats, check out their website , or even give them a call ... they are very helpful.
Get the 80C thermostat and install it in your new water pump before you assemble it back on the engine.

Take note of the orientation of the large snap ring that holds the thermostat in place ... should you need to replace the thermostat while it's installed , you better hope the
ring is oriented the right way , or in my case i had to walk around the paddocks and find somebody that had a large / solid Blue Point snap ring pliers !

I installed a 80C fail safe thermostat in my race car, meaning if it ever fails it will be in the stuck open position , just a thought ...
Old 10-09-2019, 12:01 AM
peteb944
2nd Gear

Hi,

If you purchase a genuine Porsche thermostat, it will be a Wahler 83 C. That is what I would recommend. The factory Spec for the thermostat is 83 +/- 2 C, so the Wahler aftermarket 80 C units are a little out of specification. The Porsche part is not overly expensive.

You also want the genuine Porsche thermo fan switch as well. With the factory setup and and and engine/cooling system in good working order, Texas heat will be no trouble.

Peter
Old 10-11-2019, 07:37 PM
AidedGauge
Track Day

Hi all, sorry for the late reply. I ended up finding an 80C Wahler thermostat, and installed it on the car. Because of the small cir-clip pliers I have it was pretty difficult to get the thermostat in, but nonetheless it just took a decent amount of time. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I live by the rule; "OEM when it's a bitch to get to, aftermarket when it's not". Then there's the Porsche salvage yard. The phrase; "gently used" doesn't seem to apply to Porsche parts. These cars get driven hard. To re-engineer what Porsche has done is like taking a step backwards. I use what's recommended by Porsche and I have no troubles. The bits that are not critical (visor clips,hoses,clamps etc.) aftermarket works for me most of the time. It's like the DME chip issue, you'll find plenty of threads regarding that also.

Quick Reply: Water pump scratch, and thermostat confusion