'87 944S Idle stuttering and ramping

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:31 PM
Mrshll
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '87 944S Idle stuttering and ramping

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here but I'm certain it won't be my last. I was hoping you guys could help me fix a strange idle on a recently acquired 1987 944S. I have linked three videos with sound below, the noise or lack thereof is most noticeable from the rear and from the cabin.

The problem is this. At idle the engine power/revs seem to (fluctuate to high and sometimes cuts) about every second or so and causes a drop in power each time when starting in first or reverse. This occurs consistently when the car idles even after having been warmed up and I do not know if the problem exists while at higher rpm as it's too hard to tell. Oddly enough the tachometer doesn't reflect these inconsistencies, perhaps because they occur too quickly. There is also a strong smell of petrol in the exhaust, cabin and engine bay. I understand that this could be completely unrelated but it's possibly another clue.

Again I have linked three videos below and I hope these are able to help troubleshoot.

(Most prominent) Noise from the rear. *The cuts in audio you are actually the car and not a problem with the video

Noise from the engine bay.

Noise from inside the cabin.

Thank you,
Marshall

Last edited by Mrshll; 04-15-2019 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added information

Quick Reply: '87 944S Idle stuttering and ramping