Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Strange 944 Running/ No Start Issues....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 01:08 AM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

+1 on verifying fuel pressure. If the pressure is normal but the car is still over fueling it’s another clue that leads to that injector driver circuit failing in some way. Just be careful not to over crank and thin out your oil too much.

The focus 9 dme is a great solution for anyone with a later car, the added option for an OBD module is also a neat upgrade.

in the meantime if you’re suspecting your DME relay is bad, I recommend going with one of their fuel pump relays with the built in diagnostics. It’ll save you a lot of time troubleshooting because it will answer a lot of those questions regarding the fuel system electronics and the ignition circuit.

The following users liked this post:
944#447 (07-06-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 01:26 PM
944#447
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone recommend a thread on fuel pressure gauge for the rail?
Old 06-30-2023, 03:32 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you checked any of the suggestions in my post yet ? it doesn't take a second to pull the hose off the FPV and check for a fuel leak from the fuel rail into the vacuum system. This was the cause of my identical issue on my 944S2. Excess fuel was leaking into the manifold prevented my engine starting and produced clouds of smoke from the exhaust .Replacing the FPV immediately cured the issue.
If you ask for help but don't acknowledge others posts with advice and suggestions or respond to their posts with a simple thank you you're likely to lose the help you've asked for. Even a tick on the like button tells the poster that you have read their post and appreciate their help and support

Last edited by peanut; 06-30-2023 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:23 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by 944#447
Can anyone recommend a thread on fuel pressure gauge for the rail?
I *think* its M16x1.5 M12x1.5- its metric

Last edited by walfreyydo; 07-06-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:46 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
I *think* its M16x1.5 - its metric
i think he is asking for a forum thread explaining how to do it

944#447 you must try using the forum search feature and search for previous threads and not make others do that for you.
There are hundreds of threads on how to do this, I've written many over the years . it is really easy .

Just buy a cheap pressure gauge that has a rubber hose . Remove the big nut on the end of the fuel rail (don't lose the ball bearing inside. Connect the pressure gauge over the threaded end of the fuel rail . Crank the engine over and read the pressure . check what pressure you should have for your engine 2.5 or 3.00 bar from memory . Then watch to see if the gauge slowly loses that pressure which will tell you that you have a leak somewhere.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275282368...RoCGA8QAvD_BwE

Last edited by peanut; 07-05-2023 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2023, 02:23 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peanut

944#447 you must try using the forum search feature and search for previous threads and not make others do that for you.
There are hundreds of threads on how to do this, I've written many over the years . it is really easy .

Just buy a cheap pressure gauge that has a rubber hose . Remove the big nut on the end of the fuel rail (don't lose the ball bearing inside. Connect the pressure gauge over the threaded end of the fuel rail . Crank the engine over and read the pressure . check what pressure you should have for your engine 2.5 or 3.00 bar from memory . Then watch to see if the gauge slowly loses that pressure which will tell you that you have a leak somewhere.
100% agree with this statement. There is a ton of info out there already, it just requires some initiative and searching (a basic google search "fuel pressure test 944 forum" will yield many many results).

It seems that too many people come here expecting to be spoon fed, even after pointing them in the right direction, dont have the willpower to do some reading/exploration. This is a baseline expectation for owning one of these cars. If thats too much, probably not a good car to own.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 07-05-2023 at 02:25 PM.
peanut (07-05-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 02:13 AM
944#447
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peanut

No all I was asking for was the size or a recommendation. I had a local hose shop make me a hose last week. If you had read my thread you’d know that. Your whole post was in vain.

Last edited by 944#447; 07-06-2023 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:52 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

why do you need to make up a hose ?
You just need a flexible rubber hose of a similar size to press over the fuel rail take off spigot . Its not rocket science .

The kit I gave a link to has everything you'd need for less than $12.00

if you make a post asking other owners for help and advice you need to come back and thank the posters ,answer any questions or give an update so we all know what the situation is and that we are not wasting our time . Its just common courtesy .

Now I have not read your post saying that you have given up ??? why not copy paste a link to that post in your answer .

Now saying that '''Don't give up......... there are some very experienced and knowlegable owners and Garage owners on here .....so nothing is not solvable ok.

My advice is to stop opening new threads about the same issue ....Stick to one thread so that people don't have to go searching through all your threads to find out what is going on.
that way nobody gets confused over which poster we are answering and you get advice specific to your problem .

Last edited by peanut; 07-06-2023 at 06:01 AM.
walfreyydo (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 10:14 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

No all I was asking for was the size or a recommendation. I had a local hose shop make me a hose last week. If you had read my thread you’d know that. Your whole post was in vain.
Hey I just did a quick search on youtube. This is what I mean by researching a topic independently. All that is required is a few minutes of your time to watch. Now you can either get an adapter (as I mentioned I believe the fuel rail is M12x1.5, but you should confirm this because I could be wrong since my car is a 16V not an 8V) or use the method in the video and slip a piece of tube over the rail fitting (I would clamp it as well). I would also again suggest reading through Clarks Garage and following the guide there for troubleshooting engine issues, its very methodical, you just need to follow the steps starting with confirming no fuel or no spark and going from there:

Clarks garage engine troubleshooting (you should read through the whole shop manual when you have time)
https://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ts-01.htm

Measuring fuel pressure is important because it can reveal whether your FPR is bad, or if your pump check valve is bad, there is a blockage, etc. If the pressure is too high or too low, or if the system isn't holding pressure, etc. That way you arent making wild guesses about your injectors or DME when in actuality its your FPR, for instance. Honestly, theres no way of knowing if your issue is even related to fuel, unless we do the tests.

You said, the "engine is flooding with fuel"... well then its time to test that hypothesis with data. Fuel pressure is the most basic of basic tests when diagnosing fuel related issues. Its literally step 1. As you say, youve already wasted a ton of money guessing and replacing the entire fuel system, when you should have just done a fuel pressure test from the get go, examined the data and gone from there (following clarks garage fuel related tests of course). Other things would be to test the DME relay and the signals to the injectors, or the injectors themselves.

Could it be the DME? Yes, but you cant jump to those conclusions unless youve tested everything else or you have evidence that the DME is sending faulty signals to the injectors (which would be the indication your DME is bad). You do that through testing the injectors with a noid light (a kit costs $25) and again, this is all laid out on clarks garage.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 07-06-2023 at 10:57 AM.
peanut (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 05:02 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

sorry I have been trying to help you. I hadn't realised that you thought my posts were all unhelpful.
Thank you for being honest about that at least .....I'll not offer any further help or advice ...good luck
Old 07-20-2023, 12:25 AM
944#447
Intermediate

A new DME fixed all my problems. There's something to be said about your first intuition [after extensive research]

Nothing was in vain, my car is now refreshed and running healthy. I also learned a lot about this car in the process, right off the bat.

It was frustrating but enlightening to say the least. Thanks to all who replied, and sorry to the original poster for any thread hijacking.

Last edited by 944#447; 07-20-2023 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Strange 944 Running/ No Start Issues....