944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 Probslems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 04:40 AM
xero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Probslems

Ok I have two problems with my 44, the transaxle feels grindy when I shift, and week like its about to break and my engine constantly over heats. I thought I was going to have to tear my engine down and check for a blown headgasket or bottom end damage but I found an area of my radiator had been punctured by a rock and was leaking radiator fluid.. The stuff was just oozing out. When I drove the car and put coolant in it, it would disappear so I figured something was terribly wrong.. I could speculate and list a ton of things it could have been but since I found the gash in my radiator I'm guessing thats the root of my over heating problem. Correct?

Also is there a way I can check for certain and see whats wrong with my tranny and get whatever part it is replaced? I don't feel like replacing it
Old 01-12-2004, 06:22 AM
PCMAX
Racer

What do you mean by "grindy" does it crunch if you try to change up/down from one gear to another too quickly, if so what gears, and is it when your upshifting or downshifting.
If the problem is similar to the one described it is probably a synchro ring in the gearbox, they are cheap enough to buy (about $15USD) but paying for someone to remove the gearbox & install them will cost you a whole lot more.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:36 AM
PCMAX
Racer

As far as the radiator goes you would be correct in assuming that the car will overheat if the fluid is running out of a gash. Did you get it re soldered at a radiator repair shop. I have just seen a couple of radiators on E-Bay second hand for $49 or brand new OEM $320.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:03 AM
xero
Intermediate

No I was going to just buy a new OEM unit or get an upgrade. I might do trying that before anything though.

As for the gearbox its like a metal against metal vibratiting sound. It doesn't do it on just up or downshift it sounds like that on all shifts and even when I'm driving the car. Also I am wanting to say it feels weaker than usual, like it may grenade any second. I've had a 944 tranny granade on me before and it feels the same exact way as that tranny felt before it went.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:00 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your looking at 2 different things

the tranny,,,, check the oil, has it be replced ? replace with the correct grade and amount
Old 01-16-2004, 06:52 AM
xero
Intermediate

Originally posted by adrian_jaye
your looking at 2 different things

the tranny,,,, check the oil, has it be replced ? replace with the correct grade and amount
You know I feel stupid admitting to that but no.. I just got it.. I have not put 1500 miles on it. I will try that. I've changed the oil in the motor though. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:59 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not call it stupididty

maybe "absent mindedness" !

we all miss things

ade
Old 01-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you change it, make sure you put a good synthetic in there. I reccomend mobil 1 or Amsoil. The Amsoil made mine feel like a whole new transmission.

Quick Reply: 944 Probslems