Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

The price of 928 relays............

 
Old 05-20-2014, 06:31 PM
  #46  
...P
User
Thread Starter
 
...P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 128
Default

PHIL928,

Yes they work fine, I waited until I was sure they would work before posting here.

best,

P
...P is offline  
Old 05-20-2014, 06:36 PM
  #47  
...P
User
Thread Starter
 
...P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 128
Default

Originally Posted by GregBBRD View Post
Holy crap.

What a great way to approach a problem!
Why not just call the supplier and point out the inaccuracy of the provided information?
And realize that you are going to be way happier, in the long run, with a used Ford Fiesta.
Lol, don't think the Fiesta idea is going to go very far. They do look like fun but I'll stick to my 31 year old 928 5-speed and put in a couple tanks of 93 octane no ethanol with the money I saved by not spending $123 on a $7 relay.

Why not call the supplier?
This is a buyer beware and share the good price posting.
Checking with the previous postings I see a notice where someone said they are charging something like $104 for this same part (back in 2010).
So now it's 2014 and the price is raised to $123. This is no typo, they know what they're doing and I take issue with it.
It's their business what they want to charge, and they know what they are charging. I take issue with the business ethics, namely becuase in my business I have to live under a code of ethics or face civil penalties, and I am more sensitive to this sort of thing.

When I did the search initially I first found the $123 relay and thought, "oh NO" I can't afford that. Now that I was driving around with open windows, laughing at the fact that i only spent $14 for two of em, makes me wonder just what kind of poor guy buys one for $123, and what kind of a rationalization would someone have to defend that kind of a price unless they were in an associated parts sale business. From the consumer point of view, as a guy who is trying to maintain his own cars and there-by SUPPORT THE 928 after-market industry, I take offense to someone trying to charge that to me or you for that matter, for that kind of money.

Those of you who buy the $7 alternative, you can send me a private message of thanks.

As for the guy charging $123, you got an honest reaction from a former customer who looked you up first.

regards,

P

Last edited by ...P; 05-20-2014 at 07:17 PM.
...P is offline  
Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 PM
  #48  
Hacker-Pschorr
Super Moderator - Cracklin' Rosie
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Hacker-Pschorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Up Nort
Posts: 10,062,845
Default

Originally Posted by ...P View Post
To me ENZO means "loser"
Around these parts, you are wrong.

Which appears to be a reoccurring theme in this thread.
Hacker-Pschorr is offline  
Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 PM
  #49  
...P
User
Thread Starter
 
...P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 128
Default

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr View Post
Around these parts, you are wrong.
Which appears to be a reoccurring theme in this thread.
Oh I guess I'll edit this one and use some manners.

P
...P is offline  
Old 05-20-2014, 08:58 PM
  #50  
checkmate1996
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
checkmate1996's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 1,859
Default

talk about an over reaction to the problem. First thing about these cars is check all your sources, OEM parts and cross-manufacturing options. Plus, it has been explicitly said the it's an OEM part, NOT original Porsche. The difference is the box costs $98!

Btw, doing a quick search on Automotion shows very little product for 928's....just sayin'

To Mark's point, this is a complicated business between sourcing, buying and selling. You are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
checkmate1996 is offline  
Old 05-20-2014, 09:06 PM
  #51  
SeanR
Running up the Odo'
Rennlist Member
 
SeanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 34,534
Default

Yep, it pays to take a look at what's around you for supplies. I use Roger (928sRus) for new parts and Mark(928Intl) for used parts. I've been burned a few too many times to go elsewhere.
SeanR is offline  
Old 05-20-2014, 09:37 PM
  #52  
M. Requin
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
M. Requin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 3,387
Default

OK, you have taken a bunch of flack. And here are some reasons why: first, you came on somewhat aggressively, like you had found out this big secret that was behind a rip-off of 928 owners. "ENZO" means, guess what, we already knew it. Like, forever. Points for trying to contribute to the community, minus points for carelessly criticizing some very dedicated suppliers who try to relieve the community of the sometimes ridiculous Porsche pricing strategems you have discovered on your own. Bottom line, IMHO, join the club! I made some real d***f**k statements when I joined the list, but this place is SO GOOD I stayed and learned, and I am really glad I did.
M. Requin is offline  
Old 05-20-2014, 10:02 PM
  #53  
Landseer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Landseer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Posts: 11,285
Default

P, if there is anything else you want to know about replacement parts for your 83 that we already know, feel free to ask.
Landseer is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 11:35 AM
  #54  
...P
User
Thread Starter
 
...P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 128
Default

Originally Posted by M. Requin View Post
OK, you have taken a bunch of flack. And here are some reasons why: first, you came on somewhat aggressively, like you had found out this big secret that was behind a rip-off of 928 owners. "ENZO" means, guess what, we already knew it. Like, forever. Points for trying to contribute to the community, minus points for carelessly criticizing some very dedicated suppliers who try to relieve the community of the sometimes ridiculous Porsche pricing strategems you have discovered on your own. Bottom line, IMHO, join the club! I made some real d***f**k statements when I joined the list, but this place is SO GOOD I stayed and learned, and I am really glad I did.

Thank you for the note. You took the time to do this and I'll respond with some time of my own.

About the flack. Flack on an internet forum is, well, "common". It is inconsequential and anyone who has been on a forum very long understands the issues. Your comments are valid (enjoy the video link at the end). I think we share common values, by the way.

As a point of information, I am not a newbie, just had to re-establish the password from way back, and spent most of my tech time on some Porsche boards (including my own) that are now defunct.


1. I understand people don't like caps and think it is agressive, and on an internet forum people can act-out and feel the personal satisfaction of tossing a barb. In that regard I hope I provided some satisfaction, lol. They are not a bad person for doing so, I would sometimes do the same.

2. Some are (obviously) in porsche parts sales and they wear their response on their sleeve. They think of themselves in a position of being caught in the same embarassing situation and automatically defend the guilty party, pointing at all the good things they do. I am okay with this, nobody is perfect, everyone makes a mistake. However, this particular supplier will continue to get bad press and a negative impression for doing this even if I stay silent, because that is simply an outrageous price to charge an industry they posture themselves to support. It makes them look like they are willing to feed on us. Most people keep their dusgust quiet, I decided to comment.

I run a world-wide not for profit enthusiast web site in my spare time that gets out to 119 countries each month (dealing with items much more expensive than a Porsche). I am giving away thousands of dollars of my own money and not making a dime trying to save guys in a particular venue some money, providing tech assistance, and motivation, and not even filing any tax breaks for this. It is my way of giving back. I am offended by people in that particular sport that charge outrageous prices, because we have some and everyone knows they are there only for the money. For this reason I took exception to the $123 price tag for a $7 part here. My delivery may have gotten more attention than the message. The message is proper business ethic. If you have someone willing to charge that for a stinkin little relay, then they need to be viewed accordingly.

3. I understand some people are obviously kissing the ring here. Some of the comments are diversionary, and simply overlook the fact that the price has been adjusted from $104 to $123 during the last 4 years by intent, for a part that should sell for $7. I'm sorry, but they bring it on themselves. People should not feel like they should be muzzled and intimidated into being quiet. Yeah, it's a stinkin little $7 part for a stinkin little $125. It's not the PRICE, it is the PRINCIPLE.



SUGGESTED RESOLUTION:

I would suggest anyone selling this part for $123 should also sell one for $7 along with a statement regarding just why they are putting the $123 item out there for enthusiasts to buy. By doing so they remove themselves from looking like they baited a hook for some un-informed person. You know some poor soul out there may have thought he had to spend that kind of money, and that is sad because someone probably did. So I ask the question to the supplier: "do you want to look like you just baited a hook for a sucker" (well do-ya?)


So as long as we've both tossed out a little philosophy here (and I do appreciate your comments), you or some of the other readers may enjoy the following brand of philosophy. I certainly do, I look up to this kind of man.
I'm not sure I would want to be the guy behind the counter (or keyboard) who tried to sell him a $7 relay for $123.



best,

P








For those who don't have time to listen to the full video:

Head of the U.S. Special Operations Command, he is a 36-year SEAL who has been at the tip of the spear in the war on terror since 2001.
He has commanded a squadron in the fabled Naval Special Warfare Development Group, better known as SEAL Team Six, and he oversaw planning and execution of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.

He is also the most mysterious and guarded Navy four-star. While Admirals Greenert, Gortney, Locklear and company frequently appear in the media and before Congress, McRaven shies away from the spotlight.
In fact, outside the special operations community, he rose all the way to four-star without attracting much notice until Operation Neptune Spear.
...P is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 11:38 AM
  #55  
rlich8
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rlich8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 444
Default

Originally Posted by Maybach_Man View Post
Thats the beauty of forums.....people with knowledge can point others in the correct direction. I would not know 'off hand' if there was an alternative relay for a given application, so, to be safe would probably replace like for like. But if you know about these things please enlighten us all!!
This is precisely the value of Rennlist's 928 forum, and to a lesser extent, Pelican Parts 928 forum.

It's hard to quantify but it is safe to say that this forum has saved us all a great deal of frustration and a decent amount of money on parts and service.
rlich8 is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 12:03 PM
  #56  
...P
User
Thread Starter
 
...P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 128
Default

Originally Posted by rlich8 View Post
This is precisely the value of Rennlist's 928 forum, and to a lesser extent, Pelican Parts 928 forum.

It's hard to quantify but it is safe to say that this forum has saved us all a great deal of frustration and a decent amount of money on parts and service.
A-men !

That was the intent (for you) !

:-)

best,

P
...P is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 12:22 PM
  #57  
James Bailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
James Bailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 18,056
Default

P , OK.... " They do look like fun but I'll stick to my 31 year old 928 5-speed and put in a couple tanks of 93 octane no ethanol with the money I saved by not spending $123 on a $7 relay. "
In your quest for ethical behavior you might want to research what grade of fuel your 928 needs to burn because you have fallen prey to the MYTH that PREMIUM FUEL is in fact BETTER !!! How much has that cost you and why do the gasoline companies not tell you that your car does not need and cannot benefit from 93 Octane. TOTAL EXPLOTATION as I see it !!! The power of advertising.
James Bailey is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 PM
  #58  
checkmate1996
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
checkmate1996's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 1,859
Default

Not to derail this thread but... Jim, my car might be the exception to the rule as my mechanical CIS injection definitely notices a difference between 87 and 93 and where it's sourced e.g. Giant eagle versus Shell. Call me crazy but my system goes bonkers if I put low octane flow in. The exception to the rule is if I'm on a long trip I can 'get away' with 89...

Originally Posted by James Bailey View Post
P , OK.... " They do look like fun but I'll stick to my 31 year old 928 5-speed and put in a couple tanks of 93 octane no ethanol with the money I saved by not spending $123 on a $7 relay. "
In your quest for ethical behavior you might want to research what grade of fuel your 928 needs to burn because you have fallen prey to the MYTH that PREMIUM FUEL is in fact BETTER !!! How much has that cost you and why do the gasoline companies not tell you that your car does not need and cannot benefit from 93 Octane. TOTAL EXPLOTATION as I see it !!! The power of advertising.
checkmate1996 is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 01:19 PM
  #59  
whatudrivin
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
whatudrivin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,158
Default

P... I haven't seen a post yet that points to you understanding(granted you may in fact understand, I just haven't seen it) that the more expensive relay is a genuine Porsche replacement and the $7 one is a generic replacement. You should know that the Porsche part is going to be a lot more than an aftermarket alternative. And I have seen other post screen shots showing both side by side showing this.
whatudrivin is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 01:52 PM
  #60  
...P
User
Thread Starter
 
...P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 128
Default

Originally Posted by James Bailey View Post
P , OK.... " They do look like fun but I'll stick to my 31 year old 928 5-speed and put in a couple tanks of 93 octane no ethanol with the money I saved by not spending $123 on a $7 relay. "
In your quest for ethical behavior you might want to research what grade of fuel your 928 needs to burn because you have fallen prey to the MYTH that PREMIUM FUEL is in fact BETTER !!! How much has that cost you and why do the gasoline companies not tell you that your car does not need and cannot benefit from 93 Octane. TOTAL EXPLOTATION as I see it !!! The power of advertising.
James, I use 93 octane marine gas with no ethanol becuase that's what they sell at the yacht club and I get a 25% discount. The car loves it.

:-)

P
...P is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The price of 928 relays............


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: