Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   '93 GTS 5 speed (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/808295-93-gts-5-speed.html)

James Bailey 04-04-2014 03:52 PM

Yes Greg every since you and Grant worked on my car it has.........(insert any number of possible issues) matters not if you were anywhere near where the new problem might be .. :) The joy of working on old cars !! Which reminds me to go see if it will still start it has been several weeks.

dr bob 04-04-2014 03:55 PM

Greg, my car pulls to the right whenever I drive past your shop towards Mark's place. Coincidence? I still blame ya. ;)

GregBBRD 04-04-2014 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by James Bailey (Post 11268611)
Yes Greg every since you and Grant worked on my car it has.........(insert any number of possible issues) matters not if you were anywhere near where the new problem might be .. :) The joy of working on old cars !! Which reminds me to go see if it will still start it has been several weeks.

I've actually had people that got a flat tire, two weeks after their car was here, call me up and complain.

Some days I have to get into the Buffalo Trace early!

Gary Knox 04-04-2014 05:21 PM

Regarding the seep question that Chalkboss asked.

I wonder - IF you have the tank off, and know where the seep area is - then could you draw a vacuum on the tank. When the tank is under moderate vacuum (Mighty Vac, 6-10 psi) then spread some very low viscosity epoxy at the seepage area, allowing it to be drawn into the 'crack/hole/whatever'. Just might seal the seep.

I've had success with this technique using Gorilla Glue epoxy on the plastic vacuum system of the SL55 AMG that performs the 'soft close' of the trunk. Before this treatment, the soft trunk function never worked, and now it has worked perfectly for about 6 months. I let the epoxy cure for 24 hours before re-installing the vacuum system.

A friend used this technique to seal the rear AC evaporator on a 928 that was leaking freon. Never leaked again - at least until the owner sold the car about 3-4 years after repair.

Chalkboss 04-04-2014 05:42 PM

Thanks Gary, I don't think it will hurt to try. I will apply a vacuum and see where that leads me. Not sure about Gorilla glue holding up under the heat and pressure, but I can investigate other types as well.
Silly that a brand new part which is supposed to hold pressure does not. I was not expecting this after doling out that lump of cash for a OE part.

Bilal928S4 04-04-2014 05:50 PM

Where does the new tanks seep from?
The middle seam?
From the top where the metal flange is connected to the plastic base?
The top metal flange and the cap?
OR somewhere else?

rnixon 04-04-2014 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bilal928S4 (Post 11268935)
Where does the new tanks seep from?
The middle seam?
From the top where the metal flange is connected to the plastic base?
The top metal flange and the cap?
OR somewhere else?

Greg said:

Originally Posted by GregBBRD (Post 11268360)
Since every tank I've used in the past 5 years has had seepage around where the metal insert for the cap goes into the tank...

2zeroes 04-09-2014 02:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
PRICE DROP

NOW ONLY $99,990

William A 12-02-2014 10:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pulling up the old thread, I had some great fun reading it!

Truly, I have no hard feelings to those who lambasted the interior, price, or that it was somehow abused. I admit that I flew to see the car before purchase just to see the interior in person. No question it is memorable and even polarizing.

I can say now that Zermat may be the most stunning silver ever set to a car.

I refrained from posting to let the market take its course, and it did. Result was a very nice sale about 2 months ago.

I think Greg, Rob, and Mark answered some of the questions. There was one last issue that came up at a PPI. It prompted me to change the engine mounts preemptively.

I will say to anyone who has few miles but many years, new engine mounts will surprisingly transform your 928. I thought my car was perfect before that, but it was an epiphany once they were changed.

Thanks to Greg Brown for his many years of stewardship with my GTS. I always pretended I had a choice when it came to recommendations for work (or even not to do work, he warned me, lol!) and especially for the incredible exhaust he developed for the car.

Mark Anderson has been an invaluable resource, generous with his time and expertise. Rob is a kindred spirit, always willing to help, and most importantly someone I can point at and say to my wife, "I am pretty normal, but he is certifiably 928 crazy!"
And to all of you critics just one last, fun poke, "MAGENTA, BABY!"
:)

77tony 12-02-2014 11:12 PM

Fantabulous :thumbup: T

Rob Edwards 12-02-2014 11:22 PM

Sad to see it go, but it was a market-setting price for an outstanding example of a '93 5-speed. If I had VC money to invest in cars likely to appreciate, this one would have been in the warehouse already...

William A 12-03-2014 12:11 PM

Thanks, Tony. Rob it was very hard to let it go, as you know.

I will say to my brethren that there is good money for these cars out there. It is funny how much control owners of such rare cars have over the market. Think about it, 406 cars delivered to North America! Fewer than 2,900 total worldwide. So rare in the car collector world, and for a truly great car.

I guess it is the age old "what comes first, chicken or the egg." However, if we don't see the value as aficionado, why do we expect anyone else will?

My opinion is that GTS's will increasingly be appreciated and will lead the market in values. Wherever the nose goes, the tail will follow, it is good for everyone.

1993GTS 12-03-2014 06:45 PM

New Owner

Hello All. I have been a fan of this forum and Williams car for some time, and I'm happy to be the new owner of this beautiful GTS.

Thanks to William and everyone else involved!

After lurking in the shadows of the internet I'm very excited to be a 928 owner and member of this forum.

Chris

Cameron 12-03-2014 06:52 PM

Welcome, Chris.

Sweeeet ride. And I am one in the camp of loving the Grey / Magenta interior combo. Congrats!

Bilal928S4 12-03-2014 07:00 PM

Welcome 1993GTS. Where in CT are you located?