Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   In case it hasn't been said enough, huge props to Dwayne (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/767216-in-case-it-hasnt-been-said-enough-huge-props-to-dwayne.html)

kaelix 07-20-2013 01:19 AM

In case it hasn't been said enough, huge props to Dwayne

I was looking at the mess under the carpet in the hatch and started wondering if there was a replacement foam pad.I looked in the PET so i could find our what to actually call it, but that didn't help.

So I came to search and what do i find:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...with-pics.html

I just wanted to give a big thanks to Dwayne it seems every time I come across an issue he's not only been there, he wrote a guide about it. (tb/wp, oil neck filler/waterbridge/ foam mat /and stuff I have yet to find lol).

If we ever meet at a 928 event or by chance somewhere, i owe you more than a few :cheers:

MainePorsche 07-20-2013 01:46 AM

I owe much thanks to The Gentleman From California.
Not only are his pictorial essays for specific procedures the 'gold standard' by which many of us follow, but his high quality images are useful for other endeavors we delve into.
I owe much thanks to The Gentleman From California.

chrisjbell 07-20-2013 04:03 AM

+1

Awesome writeups. Love 'em.

Hai gebissen 07-20-2013 08:15 AM

I concur. His detailed write-ups and photos have been invaluable to me as I try to pump life back into my '87. Just outstanding.

Wisconsin Joe 07-20-2013 02:03 PM

I don't think it is possible to say "Thank You" enough to Dwayne. He includes a lot of the little tips and techniques that make exceedingly difficult and frustrating tasks manageable.

robot808 07-20-2013 02:15 PM

I've been advocating Lifetime Membership for Dwayne for years now.

MainePorsche 07-20-2013 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by robot808 (Post 10624458)
I've been advocating Lifetime Membership for Dwayne for years now.

And, this should be done with Emeritus status.

UncleMaz 07-20-2013 03:10 PM

I met Dwayne briefly at SF11. He is as nice and gentlemanly as his write-ups are thorough. We are lucky he owns a 928.

rgs944 07-20-2013 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by MainePorsche (Post 10624539)
And, this should be done with Emeritus status.

+1

tda1 07-20-2013 03:32 PM

+1 couldn't have gotten thru this TB/WP without his directions.

awilli6 07-20-2013 04:50 PM

I purchased an 87 because of Dewayne's write ups. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but his write ups have enabled me to claim a level of competence I would have never been able to claim. I'm very proud when someone questions the repair costs and I'm able to say, I do it all myself. TB/WP, motor mounts, water bridge and on and on. Thanks Dewayne, you are simply the best!:bowdown:

MGW-Fla 07-20-2013 11:37 PM

+1000 on all of the above!

Dwayne has THE best write ups bar none for several reasons. Two which come to mind are, 1) He includes the most basic of steps. Steps that most would already know, but steps that need to be told to someone like me. 2) He includes LOTS of pictures. I need to see what it is that's being explained to me on a repair I've never done before, possibly including part(s) I may not have a clear idea of what, or where, they are.

Thanks Dwayne, your efforts are indeed greatly appreciated!:bowdown:

Dwayne 07-22-2013 12:25 AM

THANKS ALL for the great comments! It's always good to hear the write-ups are being used and are helpful. ENJOY!

tv 07-22-2013 09:26 AM

Have not had to use one yet, but saved all of them, just in case. Amazing work, unequaled on any forum or manual I know of. Super work.

Bill Ball 07-22-2013 02:23 PM

Yes, Dwayne clearly has a very rare talent. His write ups are as good as or better than any professional technical guide writer I have encountered. His prolific photographic, step-by-step documentation still flabbergasts me. It's as if he has a full Hollywood production crew there staging each shot. Each one is perfectly lighted, focused and composed... and his hands are never dirty! How the heck he does this by himself is a total mystery. And that's just the pictures. More amazing is how logical and complete his approach is. There are many steps in doing many of these jobs that are not spelled out anywhere else. So, I struggle often with just how to do them with a lot of trial and error. Dwayne's often ingenious methods cut right through this and make it appear so simple when I know it's not. That's what I admire most. It's a kind of intelligence I wish I had in even half the quantity and quality Dwayne has.

The other remarkable thing I notice is the level of dedication Dwayne must have to create this kind of documentation. Taking this many photos, overlooking nothing, doubles or triples the time it takes to do each job. I've often tried to document even simple procedures, and at some point in the process I neglect to grab the camera or I just get so wrapped up in completing the job in a reasonable time that I completely stop documenting. I end up with just snippets, not enough to assemble a useful guide. So, I recognize just how much extraordinary effort and time Dwayne puts into helping all of us.

Years ago I approached Dwayne and offered to host his write ups at a single source online. He agreed, and I put up Dwayne's Garage.
http://www.dwaynesgarage.norcal928.org/

It currently has about 90% of his write ups assembled directly from his posts here. I will update it again soon to bring it completely up to date.

In the interim the 928OC has also compiled his write ups and others have collected the original thread links. So, there a a number of ways to find Dwayne's outstanding guides.

So, Dwayne gets the biggest "props" I can give, too.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: