Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   What are my options/legal rights? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/765379-what-are-my-options-legal-rights.html)

SeanR 07-23-2013 10:10 AM

^^ I agree with Stan, sounds like he got a deal and if he thinks that a shop is going to charge for parts what he can get them for off Amazon he's nutz.

auzivision 07-23-2013 10:55 AM

If the car is running correctly then I'd say it was about fair market price for said repairs. A reasonable rule of thumb when it comes to repair is to shop the parts first... take that price and double it for "cost of parts"... then double it again for "cost of parts installed".

This is one of the reasons I find enjoyment and satisfaction out of doing this stuff myself. If I add back what I've spent on tools... LOL, I'm probably about even.

Hope you are enjoying your time in SF and arrive home safely to a car that is ready to be driven.

docmirror 07-23-2013 11:02 AM

I didn't see where he had clutch parts done. If that's the case, then the price is ok if it's all working well.

Mrmerlin 07-23-2013 11:52 AM

Doc see post 59 for the extras after the car was running.

outbackgeorgia 07-23-2013 08:11 PM

The law in FL is that all replaced parts must be offered to the owner. It may have changed, but I doubt it. The idea is to protect the customer, it doesn't always work, as most shops have plenty of used parts to offer! On a 928, it is less likely. Not sure what the remedy is however.
Dave

flyrade 07-27-2013 05:36 AM

I just got home from my visit to San Fran to see my son and his family and am happy to report my 928 is perfect. I drove it all day today, and missed it so much I could hardly get out of the car. It starts and runs great, and I took it up to the red line just to make sure there were no problems.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was concerned about an inflated bill. The pre-arranged cost to repair the wiring was about $1450, and my additional charges were $4617. When I originally heard that I thought it to be too expensive. However, on inspecting the bill I feel a lot better about it. First of all he used all O E M parts. As an example, you can get a timing belt for about $50, but a Porsche timing belt is $110. He used the Porsche timing belt. He also replaced the water pump, valve cover gasket sets, rollers and tensioners and a lot of other parts that I'm not familiar with. The total parts cost was right at $2300, or half my bill. Considering all the work he had to do I am certainly not displeased with paying about $2300 for his labor. From what I have read in the previous posts, this does not seem to be excessive.

Also, while he was doing this work he noticed the slave master cylinder was leaking slightly, so he replaced it as well. He also noticed the stick shift had a worn part in the mechanism and replaced that part as well.

Looking back on this, my only real complaint now is that it took so long to get the job done. All in all it was nine weeks. And the real problem is that he lied to me so many times saying the job will be complete at a specific date with no intention of living up to that.

Again, thanks to all of you for your concern, support and input. It is much appreciated and I hope I never have to do the same for you.

SeanR 07-27-2013 10:24 AM

Glad to hear you are happy with the car, the end result is sometimes the best way to look at an ordeal and just dismiss the BS that it took to get ya there.

depami 07-27-2013 10:51 AM

Glad all is well.

At first thought the price seems high but all things considered it appears fair.

Be careful with your redline running until after the belt inspection / tension check at 12 to 15 hundred miles.

Have fun enjoying your 928 and stay safe.

Peace,

DPM