Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   What are my options/legal rights? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/765379-what-are-my-options-legal-rights.html)

NordicSaab 07-15-2013 02:12 PM

Glad I was wrong and this all worked out :)

depami 07-15-2013 02:14 PM

That is fantastic but I wouldn't have anyone else pick it up. I believe it to be extremely important that you receive the car and only after a satisfactory test drive.

If you feel compelled to do something sooner, just make a partial payment now that the car is running and the balance when you pick it up.

Glad it looks like it's all going to work out civilly after all.

Courtshark 07-15-2013 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by depami (Post 10612020)
That is fantastic but I wouldn't have anyone else pick it up. I believe it to be extremely important that you receive the car and only after a satisfactory test drive.

If you feel compelled to do something sooner, just make a partial payment now that the car is running and the balance when you pick it up.

Glad it looks like it's all going to work out civilly after all.

+1. Do not "mail in" this last chapter. Smart move to charge it, though.

Speedtoys 07-15-2013 03:19 PM

*whew*

Glad it's ok, thats a rare outcome.

:)

docmirror 07-15-2013 03:29 PM

Dray-muh --- averted.

go get car yourself. Check the bill, check the car, check everything.

FredR 07-15-2013 03:47 PM

Hopefully this is a good result and good that you gave the chap a chance to deliver.

Let's hope that when you do get behind the wheel again all is well. If by any chance it feels less than what it should be get it checked out by someone who knows what they are looking for. A simple compression test or better still, a leakdown test may well be appropriate.

Either way, fingers crossed for a good outcome and do let us know how it goes.

Fred R

flyrade 07-20-2013 12:55 PM

I'm glad to report that my 928 is safe and sound in my driveway. I'm visiting my son and his family in San Fran and did not want the car sitting at the shop for another week or so till I get home. I had a friend check out the car, pay for it with my Visa, and take it to my driveway. He says it drives great.

However, now there is the bill to contend with. It's a lot more expensive than I was led to believe. The cost for repairing the wiring was $1,450 and was agreed upon with the insurance company. Not a problem. However, the additional work of changing the timing belt and water pump were to be on me. I'm not sure how much this was going to be, but it was supposed to be less expensive because a lot of the work to get to the parts were already covered by the insurance claim. However, now I just paid an additional bill of $4,617 for this work - but since I have not seen the bill I can't say what was done and what additional parts were used. However, I did ask for the used parts, but he did not save them.
My plan right now is to review the bill and track down the retail price of all the parts he claimed he used. If there is a problem there, I'll ask to see his invoices to make sure he even ordered them. I'm not sure what I'll do about the labor charges.
Thanks again to all of you for your interest, concern and support. I hope I never have to do the same for you.

Mrmerlin 07-20-2013 01:08 PM

sounds like you got a great deal on your car repairs,
go home give a it a wash and drive it like you stole it!

whatudrivin 07-22-2013 04:39 PM

Drive it like you stole it ehh?

docmirror 07-22-2013 06:24 PM

Just a ballpark here but $4600 for a TB and WP with new pulleys is just about double what the going indie rate would be for that car. Most good shops will run $1900-2800 incl parts.

YMMV

Avar928 07-22-2013 07:36 PM

I was quoted $4-5k by my mechanic and over $5k by the dealership. Sounds about right.

Landseer 07-22-2013 07:51 PM

One guy here paid 10,000 for little more than a TB job at northern VA dealer.

928 is a classic, but a mechanical / electrical outcast. You brought it to the wrong shop.

Suck it up, honestly, and drive it for enjoyment.

Imo000 07-22-2013 10:42 PM

So is the engine running right then?

depami 07-23-2013 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 10629892)
So is the engine running right then?

He doesn't know. He had someone else pick it up for him ... and pay for it .... :nono:

Mrmerlin 07-23-2013 12:54 AM

dont forget the wire issues and other clutch parts installed,
Id say he got a deal for all of the work that was done.

Note retention the belt at 1200. miles