Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 928 Forum
Reload this Page >

Referrals please: 928 Specialist mechanic in NYC metro area NY NJ CT

Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

Referrals please: 928 Specialist mechanic in NYC metro area NY NJ CT

 
Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 PM
  #1  
david_alford
User
Thread Starter
 
david_alford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 302
Default Referrals please: 928 Specialist mechanic in NYC metro area NY NJ CT

If luck is on my side over next two days, I may end up purchasing my first 928 - a 16v 5-speed.

In the not-too-distant future she will need TB/WP and new tires (this is all I know for now, until PPI is completed tomorrow).

Can anyone recommend good 928 mechanics in the NYC metro area? NJ and CT works too if they are close to NJ Transit/Amtrak/MetroNorth train stops.

Thanks!
david_alford is offline  
Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 PM
  #2  
mickster
Super User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 3,719
Default

Originally Posted by david_alford View Post
If luck is on my side over next two days, I may end up purchasing my first 928 - a 16v 5-speed.

In the not-too-distant future she will need TB/WP and new tires (this is all I know for now, until PPI is completed tomorrow).

Can anyone recommend good 928 mechanics in the NYC metro area? NJ and CT works too if they are close to NJ Transit/Amtrak/MetroNorth train stops.

Thanks!
Hi David,

Where exactly is the car? Who is doing the PPI?

There are a few choices on Long Island, Queens, Manhattan, New Jersey, CT.

Most will drive you to the station either way.

I know Sonny at http://www.smmotorsportsinc.com/ seems to be reasonable by the hour and has been working on 928's for years. He is not far from the LIRR.

Michael
Plainview, NY
mickster is offline  
Old 12-20-2011, 04:23 PM
  #3  
sweet928
User
 
sweet928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 1,383
Default

Jorge and Jack's in Clifton, NJ. Ed Grossman knows 928's well. Not a Porsche shop but they get a bunch of 928's. Every time I've been there there's been at least one or more 928's being worked on. A good sign IMHO. I've been very happy with their work. Honest and reasonable but they will not work on any basket cases.
sweet928 is offline  
Old 12-20-2011, 04:46 PM
  #4  
david_alford
User
Thread Starter
 
david_alford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 302
Default

Originally Posted by mickster View Post
Hi David,

Where exactly is the car? Who is doing the PPI?

There are a few choices on Long Island, Queens, Manhattan, New Jersey, CT.

Most will drive you to the station either way.

I know Sonny at http://www.smmotorsportsinc.com/ seems to be reasonable by the hour and has been working on 928's for years. He is not far from the LIRR.

Michael
Plainview, NY
PPI is being done in CT a couple of hours north of NYC, convenient for present owner but too far for me to bring the car for service if I end up buying.

Thanks, sm motorsports looks great!
david_alford is offline  
Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 PM
  #5  
david_alford
User
Thread Starter
 
david_alford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 302
Default

Originally Posted by sweet928 View Post
Jorge and Jack's in Clifton, NJ. Ed Grossman knows 928's well. Not a Porsche shop but they get a bunch of 928's. Every time I've been there there's been at least one or more 928's being worked on. A good sign IMHO. I've been very happy with their work. Honest and reasonable but they will not work on any basket cases.
Thanks! will check them out. They are less than 20 miles away.
david_alford is offline  
Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 PM
  #6  
david_alford
User
Thread Starter
 
david_alford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 302
Default

Anyone have experience with Formula MotorSports in Long Island City?
david_alford is offline  
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 PM
  #7  
mickster
Super User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 3,719
Default

Originally Posted by david_alford View Post
Anyone have experience with Formula MotorSports in Long Island City?
I've seen a few posts here. I have heard they are crazy expensive.
mickster is offline  
Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 AM
  #8  
tlebovic
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 104
Default Zen at Angus Imports

He's located in South Salem, NY. 914 763 3628 Taxi from Metro North Katonah station. Has an 86S of his own.

I had my transmission replaced by him last year. He took the diff off my 89 and mated it to the 88 used gearbox I located.

He's honest and does first rate work. With these cars there's no reason to upsell. There's always something that "really should be done", like the top end reseal this year, the front shocks next year, etc...

Tom
tlebovic is offline  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:52 PM
  #9  
PC-85-928S
User
 
PC-85-928S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 530
Default

PC-85-928S is offline  
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
  #10  
david_alford
User
Thread Starter
 
david_alford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 302
Default

Originally Posted by PC-85-928S View Post
much appreciated. Might be good, I have a friend who lives nearby.
david_alford is offline  
Old 12-22-2011, 04:32 PM
  #11  
SteveG
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SteveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 5,907
Default Long Island 928 mechanic

Well, now that the listings are as far east as Babylon, I will add Frank Perry in Bohemia for the purposes of a Long Isl. list. I can't say he is a 928 guru; he traced a vacuum leak that I couldn't find simply b/c he had a smoker, but he does Benz, Jag and Porsche and I would go back. 631-567-6127.
SteveG is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 AM
  #12  
porchfly80
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 20
Default

I reccomend calling Formula Motorsports and asking for Michael. I will be able to estimate work that needs to be performed. I noticed a post that we are high cost. Our pricing is within market and perhaps lower since we only perform the work required.

Visit www.formulamotorsports.com

Should you need any advise I would be happy to speak with you.
porchfly80 is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 PM
  #13  
david_alford
User
Thread Starter
 
david_alford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 302
Default

Originally Posted by porchfly80 View Post
I reccomend calling Formula Motorsports and asking for Michael. I will be able to estimate work that needs to be performed. I noticed a post that we are high cost. Our pricing is within market and perhaps lower since we only perform the work required.

Visit www.formulamotorsports.com

Should you need any advise I would be happy to speak with you.

Heard a lot of good things, and Mark's articles on the site are great.

Regards,
david_alford is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 AM
  #14  
porchfly80
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 20
Default

Thanks for the comment David- I will mention that to Mark
porchfly80 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Referrals please: 928 Specialist mechanic in NYC metro area NY NJ CT


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: