Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   So what did you do to your 928 Today...... (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/615144-so-what-did-you-do-to-your-928-today.html)

Rob Edwards 02-06-2011 05:49 PM

India Pale Ale contains ethanol, not isopropyl. :)

My 928 interaction was to walk past the GTS on my way to the cabinet to get a quart of 5W-30 for the MIL's Corolla.

Tom. M 02-06-2011 05:52 PM

not my car, but a local friend's 89 was diagnosed with thrust bearing issues while we were in there in Nov to do the pan gasket and motor mounts. I found an engine on craigslist, we got it a few weeks ago, it got a new pan gasket and porkensioner (and the thrust bearing check ..all good), and on Friday/Sat the group of us got the new engine in the car. Everything else came together and yesterday around 5:00pm....crank...and fire.. :D. It quickly adapted and ran great.

(best part of the deal was the craigslist engine(89 engine with 175k) had the whole intake and cam covers done in gray powder coat, 24lb inj., all new under the intake, had full harness/brains, plus a bunch of other stuff like fans etc... all for $1K). The guy who sold it did a renegade 383 conversion.

Landseer 02-06-2011 07:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Great job on repowering.

I made more progess toward getting access to remove the broken crankcase position sensor on my grounds-cleaning project-gone-awry.

Removed cross member & MM's, got access to MSDS nuts/studs, then finally enabled removing the bell housing cover.

Funds are limited, but thinking long and hard about jetisoning these MSDS for some 85/6 SS units. Sound great but PITA.

928mac 02-06-2011 11:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I brought home its new to me tires and rims.

Still dirty with frost on them from the 5 hour ride home in the back of the truck

Attachment 1210077Attachment 1210078
Attachment 1210079

mickster 02-06-2011 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by bwmac (Post 8278488)
I brought home its new to me tires and rims.

Still dirty with frost on them from the 5 hour ride home in the back of the truck

Those are nice!

Nicole 02-06-2011 11:44 PM

I connected the battery charger... I had not properly closed the drivers side door last night, and somehow didn't notice. Today there was ZERO juice.

I see a new battery in my near future. :banghead:

AO 02-07-2011 12:04 AM

rebuilt my crankcase breather setup with copper tubing (a la Tony), but then found that 5/8" hose is hard to come by locally here. The nose can't be typical heater hose as oil will degrade it (that's what happened to the old setup).

Spilled oil while filling it up - wasn't paying attention. :banghead:

Still on the list:
flush coolant
flush brakes
flush psd

See You In Hellbronze 02-07-2011 12:08 AM

Nice afternoon today, thought about going for a pre-Super Bowl drive but some idiot neighbor put a bunch of coarse gravel along the side of the road down off of our hill and now the gravel is everywhere on the road surface except where he thought he was putting it. Did no good whatsoever. Hopefully it will disperse soon. Didn't feel like subjecting the car to that, so just backed it out of the garage, let it idle for about ten minutes, wiped off a little dirt here and there, contemplated the sun roof and wondered if it needs any lubrication from time to time, guessing it does. Back in the garage and reconnected the trickle charger to the engine compartment post. Always a good day when I get a little time with shark!

pcar928fan 02-07-2011 12:21 AM

^^^^^
Yea, don't do that... I went out on a race track (at an airfield) and they has just done that to it... it was TERRIBLE! The car did not like it any more than I did!

928mac 02-07-2011 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by AO (Post 8278661)
rebuilt my crankcase breather setup with copper tubing (a la Tony), but then found that 5/8" hose is hard to come by locally here. The nose can't be typical heater hose as oil will degrade it (that's what happened to the old setup).

Spilled oil while filling it up - wasn't paying attention. :banghead:

Still on the list:
flush coolant
flush brakes
flush psd

Do you have any pic of your mod, it sounds very cool

dr bob 02-07-2011 01:13 AM

During half-time, I cleaned the front hood latch mechanism (think q-tips and a little bit of paint thinner), added a teflon o-ring to the bottom half of the latch to eliminate the wear on the end of the upper pin and the recess in the lower latch, added a plastic shield (think 'packing tape') to the bottom where the safety latch rubs on the bottom there. Also lubed the hood hinges and the rods for the struts with a cool teflon spray lube so the hood goes up and down silently/effortlessly. And sits down properly at the rear.

The hood hinge and latch clean/lube is part of the annual maintenance routine.

928mac 02-07-2011 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 8278785)
During half-time, I cleaned the front hood latch mechanism (think q-tips and a little bit of paint thinner), added a teflon o-ring to the bottom half of the latch to eliminate the wear on the end of the upper pin and the recess in the lower latch, added a plastic shield (think 'packing tape') to the bottom where the safety latch rubs on the bottom there. Also lubed the hood hinges and the rods for the struts with a cool teflon spray lube so the hood goes up and down silently/effortlessly. And sits down properly at the rear.

The hood hinge and latch clean/lube is part of the annual maintenance routine.

You have way to much time Bob

dr bob 02-07-2011 01:54 AM

Naw... Started on that this morning during the wash, but had to hid ethe evidence before K got back from shopping after church. Half-time entertainment was not up to usual standards so I snuck out for fifteen minutes of something I could start and finish easily.

The overall condition of the car is the sum of a whole lot of little things, not necessarily many big things like this. Last weekend I pulled the wheels off of K's white 4-Runner and scrubbed everything to new clean condition. It just bugs me when an otherwise-clean car still has dirt-filled wheelwells. She's blind to the indivdual things that make the car look nice, but sees the overall effect as good. Same way I treat my own car. The little stuff really does add up. Local 928 owner/enthusiast mentioned casually that my car always looks so darned clean, and he has 2 very nice/clean examples. Same comment from other 928 owners. Easy to wash, a little harder to keep clean. But I try when I have the time. :)

SanDiego928 02-07-2011 01:58 AM

sunroof rebuild - clean engine - tried to fix idle, now down to 1000 rpm warmed, screw almost all the way clockwise.

Green Goblin 02-07-2011 02:11 PM

Got the I/M done on mine Friday, thought i was going to take it for a spin but the weekend got way to busy.
Look at the darn thing and want to go drivin.

Andy