Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Rebuild of my 1980 Euro S (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/598724-rebuild-of-my-1980-euro-s.html)

BigAl1 10-27-2010 11:55 PM

Rebuild of my 1980 Euro S

5 Attachment(s)
Since we picked up the 928 at the end of August, it drove about 60 miles before putting it up on blocks for a thorough inspection. During the checkup, found the brake pads were almost done and several small things that added up to the decision to start a major section of the rebuild plan. Since then, the engine is out on the stand, the TT and trans pulled and all the suspension is out. My first group of parts was shipped today, so hopefully in the next couple weeks the rear area will start coming together. My plan (always being revised of course!) is to get all the suspension rebuilt, painted, plated, and detailed then move on to the engine bay strip and clean/paint. Last for this winter will be a teardown of the engine to reseal it (a giant grimy mess right now - yuck), and convert it to MS3. We are going to change the color from the dark metallic green (a poor repaint on top of the original) to Tahoe Blue, so the engine bay and wheel wells will be color matched now, so next winter the exterior can be repainted. Hopefully, we can drive it next spring and through next summer to work out the bugs. Overall, our goal is to rebuild this for reliability and performance so we can take crosscountry tours. I'm fortunate to have the full support of my SO, and she keeps pushing me to "get it done" - and she hasn't even rode in it yet!! Already this site has been invaulable for knowledge and help and I thank you all! I'll try to update this thread as it progresses.

pcar928fan 10-27-2010 11:57 PM

What green is that? I really like the S cars in green!

GlenL 10-27-2010 11:59 PM

Aluminum lower ball joint! Get those replaced with steel versions.

BigAl1 10-28-2010 12:04 AM

I think it is Oakgrunmetallic? The paint tag on the door sill is gone, just the importer's tag, and the option sticker is missing too.

BigAl1 10-28-2010 12:04 AM

Yep, those are in the first parts coming!

BigAl1 10-28-2010 12:10 AM

All my underside hardware from the firewall back was sent out for yellow zinc di-chromate plating today, and got all 4 shocks disassembled tonight. I'm going to trial our grit blasting at work on one of the aluminum ball joints to see if I like the surface texture, and if so, then probably blast clean all the castings (being careful to protect all the machined surfaces of course). Otherwise I'll be cleaning with chemicals and elbow grease.

pcar928fan 10-28-2010 12:33 AM

My best friends fav color and I'd love to end up with an S in Oak Green some day! Maybe with black and tan interior...that would be SWEET!

GregBBRD 10-28-2010 01:12 AM

It's great that you are doing this! My son and I did this on an '83, this summer and it was great fun. It turns out to be a ton of work, but well worth the effort. Keep up the good work!

Rob Edwards 10-28-2010 02:22 AM

grit blasting at work on one of the aluminum ball joints to see if I like the surface texture, and if so, then probably blast clean all the castings
Glass bead at 80-90 psi will not visibly affect most of the suspension castings (except for the bright aluminum stampings like the air deflectors on the shock bolts and the like) Definitely the quickest way to get things clean again! (Unless you have access to a commercial parts washer....)

BigAl1 10-28-2010 08:39 AM

Thanks Greg - your thread about your rebuild was inspiring to me, and very helpful with all the pics and comments about what to watch for.
Rob, I'll be trying steel grit blasting on the old ball joint. After, it will be immersed in water to see if any shot is embedded in the aluminum and starts to rust.

kccampro 10-28-2010 08:52 AM

I'm liking the project, keep us posted.

Erik N 10-28-2010 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't think that engine in post #1 is a Euro-S powerplant. The intake runners are the US non-S versions, narrower and longer. Maybe that is a non-S car w/ added spoilers?

Here is an "S" intake:

Droplink 10-28-2010 10:01 AM

Wow! Now that's a project.

BigAl1 10-28-2010 10:45 AM

Erik,
I've wondered about the runners looking different, but the engine code is M28/12, and the VIN 92A0820533 checks out. From your pic, I think these would work better for the straight fuel rails I will use for the MS3 conversion.

Cosmo Kramer 10-28-2010 10:56 AM

Nice work Al, can't wait to see more pics. This could be a job for me to undertake in a few years.