Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   How much Duct Tape? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/592373-how-much-duct-tape.html)

Stylemobile 09-22-2010 03:11 AM

How much Duct Tape?

How much duct tape is permitted to aid the stationary positioning of the chin spoiler before it starts affecting the weight distribution between the front and rear axles? At $6 a role for the good stuff (nothing but the best for my 928) I may be rapidly approaching the cost of a new spoiler.

And does anyone have a decent one for a MY 1984?

Must - remember - cannot - straddle - larger - road kill.

Allen in Allentown, PA

struan 09-22-2010 03:28 AM

I was just looking at mine today, think it might be terminally ill. Already has the best part of umpteen bits of duct tape, several small bits of alloy and a dozen pop rivets and it's still very out of shape.

Roger can sort you out with a new one.

RyanPerrella 09-22-2010 05:30 AM

ditch the duct tape please

you give us regular guys a bad reputation

dont'cha know duct tape is only for internal problems? NEVER FOR EXTERIOR USE! IT LEAVES THAT CHECK TAPE STRINGY PATTERN DUH!

Please keep the duct tape for exhaust leaks, or repairing a crack in the engine block or to repair the radiator, all the things you cant see unless you pop the hood.

You should know better than to use duct tape on any visible surface on the car.

Stylemobile 09-22-2010 11:35 AM

The only two tools you really ever need: Duct tape and WD40.

If it moves and it shouldn't- Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it should- WD40.

I will call Roger soon.

aj986s 09-22-2010 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Stylemobile (Post 7915716)
The only two tools you really ever need: Duct tape and WD40.

If it moves and it shouldn't- Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it should- WD40.

I will call Roger soon.

You've forgotten one more very important & necessary tool......the BFH. :thumbup:

Stylemobile 09-22-2010 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by aj986s (Post 7915727)
You've forgotten one more very important & necessary tool......the BFH. :thumbup:

BFH Hmmmnnnn......... Those are my Father's initials- Benjamin Franklin Howells.

He's pretty good with all things mechanical including cars. OK! I'll use him!

You can thank him for the use of your computer. He was involved in the controlled growth of the silicon used in computer chips back in the day at Bell Laboratories. I still have some of the silicon ingot rejects from Bell Labs.

Cheers,

Allen

(Seriously, what is BFH?)

James Bailey 09-22-2010 02:18 PM

Big (F ng ) Hammer....

Jerry Feather 09-22-2010 06:51 PM

And if that doesn't work, don't force it, get a bigger f-ing hammer.

soupcan 09-22-2010 07:24 PM

Zip Ties, not as messy as duct tape and they come in an assortment of sizes and colors.

Stylemobile 09-23-2010 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by soupcan (Post 7917096)
Zip Ties, not as messy as duct tape and they come in an assortment of sizes and colors.

I keep an assortment of common tools in a small suitcase in my hatch. Included in there are the zip ties you recommend as well as duct tape, crazy glue, flashlight, latex gloves, a disposable suit of similar material as a fed-ex envelope, soap, rags and a bottle of water. I also have an umbrella, a change of clothing and a blanket (You never know when you'll have an impromptu picnic).

Cheers,

robot808 09-23-2010 09:33 PM

I think Soupcan is recommending Zip Ties for your spoiler repair. There have been several posts where people drill small holes on both sides of the crack in the spoiler and keep it together with black Zip Ties.

Glen McCartney 09-23-2010 09:37 PM

Get Gorilla tape, at least its black

Stylemobile 09-23-2010 10:35 PM

Glen,

My duct tape is the black Gorilla brand. Black and sticks better than any other. Serious residue when it comes off though.

Bob and Brian, That is a good idea for temporary repair of that spoiler. I wish I would have thought of or known about it sooner. Would have been less messy looking. My front end looks a bit well, driven hard right now.

Hopefully I may have a new one before Sharks at the Beach.
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...sey-shore.html

Glad you're going, Glen.
Anyone else able to make it?
Struan and Ryan are excused (especially Struan). I'll buy you each a beer if you make it, though.

All Best,

Allen