Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Auto not shifting into top until I come of the gas ....... Update (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/590885-auto-not-shifting-into-top-until-i-come-of-the-gas-update.html)

Whitesands 09-13-2010 09:10 PM

Auto not shifting into top until I come of the gas ....... Update

Mike, Malcolm and all,

I did as you suggested and changed the ATF and fitted a new filter, last changed 5 years ago and 25k miles so it needed doing, oh and put in a bottle of Trans-X as people seem to rate it.

Next I checked the Bowden cable, I had checked all the cables awhile back, it felt loose i.e. no tension on it so I left it alone but when I popped off the connector it was obvious there was tension on it, I adjusted it so there was no tension and refitted and went for a drive… problem fixed, now drops into top smoothly.

Thanks guys.

I know the original buyers were never expected to service these cars but filling that transmission lying underneath is a pain.

My auto transmission won’t change into 4th/top gear unless I come of the throttle and then changes with a thud, all other changes up and down are fine, I think it’s the original transmission in which case it’s got 288k on it, I’ve checked the ATF level and checked the vacuum line and the modulator, both hold vacuum, I think the cables on the manifold are adjusted right. I’m ok on the rest but autos are a mystery to me.

Could it be something fixable without tearing into it or should I just look for another trannie, it’s got to come out as I’m replacing the TT soon.

Any ideas appreciated.

86'928S MeteorGrey 09-13-2010 09:21 PM

You could try loosening the Bowden cable a turn or two...

Unfortunately, I had the same issue with an 89'S4... I had to shift into neutral and back to drive to get it to upshift... Transmission started slipping badly soon after...

If you can swing the funds, install a superclamp when you have your torque tube out. Are you going with Superbearings?

Whitesands 09-14-2010 04:17 PM

Hi Mike,
I will check the Bowden cable, Re the superclamp and superbearings, not sure which way I'm going yet, if I need another transmission funds will be tight but I know what I should do....

the flyin' scotsman 09-14-2010 04:21 PM

How old is the tranny oil and filter?

I'd change both and have the level set perfectly before jumping to further conclusions.

86'928S MeteorGrey 09-14-2010 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman (Post 7895929)
How old is the tranny oil and filter?

I'd change both and have the level set perfectly before jumping to further conclusions.

+1

You said fluid level was correct, but If you havn't changed oil and filter, or it's been more than a year or 10-15K miles, it's a really good idea.

Whitesands 10-15-2010 04:08 PM

The update, hopefully should be below.

Whitesands 10-15-2010 04:10 PM

Make that at the top.