Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   86 928 engine, WIW? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/548389-86-928-engine-wiw.html)

erljive 02-01-2010 06:18 PM

86 928 engine, WIW?

What is the approximate price for a nice running, complete 32v engine these days? It has a recent timing belt/water pump service with a guess of 80-90k miles.
Good compression across the board. No real leaks that I can see and nothing dripping under the car after long storage. Anyone want to chime in on what it's worth?
Thanks

Imo000 02-01-2010 08:26 PM

Are you looking for one? Couple years ago I listed my parts car engine (86.5 32V) for $1500 and no one was interested so I kept it as a spare.

fraggle 02-01-2010 08:34 PM

One million dollars.

James Bailey 02-01-2010 08:42 PM

I think Dwayne picked up a NEW NEW Porsche school motor for like $2,500 included new A/c compressor new alternator, ps pump etc. etc. So $1,500 is about right if someone needs a used motor shipping is an issue as well.

erljive 02-01-2010 08:49 PM

I had a conversation with a person who asked me if I would consider selling the engine in my car. I don't really want to break the car up but it may be feasible to part it as I've had no real cash offers after listing a few times and I'm getting tired of time wasters with no money. Is $1500 a reasonable price? If not, how close? Are body parts worth anything? I'm situated between Detroit and Toronto and there doesn't seem to be much interest in 928's locally. The car has been in storage for the last 2 years and I hate to see it waste away.

James Bailey 02-01-2010 08:55 PM

If it is a 5 speed the trans has value if an auto about zero. There are lots of body parts out there for sale do not expect to get much for them....same for used interior bits unless they are very nice ! Plus you need to factor in the time and effort to break the car and what you do with the shell which has zero value may even cost you money to get rid of it ....

Imo000 02-01-2010 09:01 PM

I've done this same thing 2 years ago. The auto trans was only worth somethign becuse it had LSD. Body panels and large, heavy parts are very expensive to ship to the US. took me over a eyar to part the car and the interrior in this car was very nice so I kept most of it. This goes for all the exterrior panels too and the engine. Takes a long time and work to part a car, but you will know the 928 inside and out better than ever! :)

erljive 02-01-2010 09:22 PM

The body is a rust free California import but that doesn't seem to matter much unless your selling an old Mopar product. The interior is also very nice, but again seems to be almost worthless. It's an automatic, so unless some one local needs one it's not much either. I hate to break it up but i'm paying for storage and have to get rid of 3 cars. I know what it's like trying to eBay parts and finding the time to dismantle but it's my last option and I'm hoping not necessary.

Shark Attack 02-01-2010 09:50 PM

one on ebay didnt sell with good numbers and it was very clean. I think it also still had most the accy hanging on it.... No bids at 1000.00. I dont think it sold

928 at last 02-01-2010 09:55 PM

What are you asking for the entire car? Any pictures?

erljive 02-01-2010 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm priced down to $3900 or best offer, but I only seem to get time wasters who never show up or don't have the money to pay for it. But that's what happens when you try to sell something cheap.There just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in these cars around here. I've spent over $2000 on the interior and parts last year and never found the time to drive it :banghead:

Landseer 02-01-2010 10:20 PM

The market is pretty low right now except for the upper crust pieces.

Mrmerlin 02-01-2010 11:31 PM

what is the vin # for this car do you have interior and engine pictures, is it drivable??

Imo000 02-02-2010 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by erljive (Post 7275148)
I'm priced down to $3900 or best offer, but I only seem to get time wasters who never show up or don't have the money to pay for it. But that's what happens when you try to sell something cheap.There just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in these cars around here. I've spent over $2000 on the interior and parts last year and never found the time to drive it :banghead:

Ahh, ok, I remember seeing this car on Kijiji. Didn't realize it was yours. Is the last four digit of the VIN above or bellow 1000?

RyanPerrella 02-02-2010 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by James Bailey (Post 7274885)
If it is a 5 speed the trans has value if an auto about zero. There are lots of body parts out there for sale do not expect to get much for them....same for used interior bits unless they are very nice ! Plus you need to factor in the time and effort to break the car and what you do with the shell which has zero value may even cost you money to get rid of it ....

Wise man here

The points stated here are why i am restoring this 85 and NOT parting it out

WTF am i going to do with a shell! I couldnt bare to tack a sawzall to the thing. 50 years from now when there are none of these cars left i will have to live with the fact that i destroyed one just because it took up too much space!

SAVE YOUR CARS .....if at all possible

And Jim, you need an avatar, download some hot female specimen and put it up there for us ....