Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Bulding 928 drift car (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/303754-bulding-928-drift-car.html)

EspenT 10-08-2006 10:28 AM

Bulding 928 drift car

Hi everyone.
This is my first post on this forum. I have read a lot of the posts in here, and have learned a lot. But i still have a lot more questions. It seems like very few people here build their own engine setup. Why is everyone buying supercharger kits instead of making thir own setup?
What engine would be best in a twin turbo setup?
How mutch boost could the engine take with low cr pistons?
What would it take to hit 1000-1200hp ?

Lets explain why i ask those questions..
It startet with me and a guy at work wanting to build a race car togther.
As we dont have a lot of money, we would need sponsors.. Therefore we decided to go for a drifting car.. In Norway thats the newest an hotest motorsport right now. We were looking for a supra.. But then found that to many people were driving the.. Second choise was a AE86 , but we were unable to find one in good condition and reasonable price. We had to think it al over againg..
We then found the Porsche 928. A swedish 1979 928.
At this time, we're wainting for the car to arive.

Kore928 10-08-2006 10:45 AM

From what I understand, you're gonna have a hard time trying to reach those horsepower numbers in a 928. As far as money goes, I think a lot of people would agree with me it would've been a lot cheaper to go with the Supra. Parts are pretty pricey for the 928 even though the car probably didn't cost much.

hacker-pschorr 10-08-2006 10:52 AM

I'll take a stab at this.

Originally Posted by EspenT
It seems like very few people here build their own engine setup.

With "custom" engines (strokers) tipping the scales around $10,000 (US) for parts alone, not a cheap option. Power gains have been minimal unless you also follow up the short block upgrades with intake / head upgrades. Now you are talking even more time in the machine shop since very few people can hone / bore / port / polish etc.. in their garage. Bolting on a supercharger has proven to add more power than a basic stroker setup – total build time is one day. The cost difference is significant, with the supercharger route being cheaper.

Why is everyone buying supercharger kits instead of making thir own setup?

Why buy a built car when you can design & create your own? Why reinvent the wheel. Building a supercharger setup from scratch will cost more than the kits on the market. The R&D is already completed.

What engine would be best in a twin turbo setup?

None – the 928 is not properly setup for a proper turbo setup (this is my opinion ok guys, not trying to start a war here). Look what Porsche did with the 944 Turbo to prepare it for turbo charging. If you were going to go the full monty with these upgrades for a turbo setup – then any motor will work fine since you will be changing pretty much everything anyway. This falls close to the stroker setup IMO – is all that work, money and time really going to gain that much over a bolt on supercharger? I doubt it, that’s juse me. With Tim Murphy getting over 600hp with a supercharger and what is almost a stock engine (dished pistons)……

How mutch boost could the engine take with low cr pistons?

Way too many factors to answer that question. There was a 928S4 running 24psi – the modifications to pull this off properly were extensive. Low compression pistons is one factor in a shopping list of parts needed for high boost, reliable applications.

Not sure if anyone knows yet (reliably). This is the closest project I have seen coming close:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/303546-teaser-picture-427-cubic-inch-7-0-s4-engine-visit-to-todd-s-garage.html

I think you need to study more on drifting. My 1979 928 track car is a few hundred pounds lighter than stock – only power modification is with the exhaust. I’m putting about 225hp down to the rear wheels. Depending on what tires I bolt on, it drifts with the best of them – power does not go to the ground very well with street tires on this car. Adding another 75hp would be plenty if drifting was my only goal. 1,000hp in a drift car? Not sure why unless you are doing it just for the sake of doing it (which IMO is always a good reason – push the envelop just for the sake of it is what the car hobby is all about) but on your budget – doesn’t make sense.

Good luck, I plan on trying a few drifting days with my 79 next year.

Brett928S2 10-08-2006 11:47 AM

Hi :)

I am aiming for 1000 hp next year...on Nitrous Oxide...and I WILL get there eventually....but wouldnt waste it by drifting....and I am not sure the diff would take 1000 hp going round in circles lol :)

All the best Brett :)

PORSCHE 928 S2 AUTO V8 4.7 LTR 1986 IRIS METALLIC BLUE WITH X-PIPES ,RMB ,PROMAX CHIPS, KICKDOWN SWITCH, K&N, WIZARDS OF NOS - NITROUS KIT 150 HP JETTING - 505 BHP / 500 FT LBS TORQUE
PCGB UK 928 FORUM MODERATOR - Email managingdirector@pchealthcare.co.uk

John Veninger 10-08-2006 01:41 PM

Not much if you want it for about 30 seconds.
If you would like to use the motor more than once, then find a bank with a big vault.

mark kibort 10-08-2006 01:54 PM

no issues with oiling on a drift car, unless its the high revs you need :burnout:
drifting carries with it, very little G loading.

mk

Originally Posted by Sterling
depending on which direction you are drifting you will have some severe oiling issues with the 928 engine... with the suspension set up on the 928 I can't imagine it would make a good drift car..... several people on the board have built their own engines, but they are few and far between.

Fabio421 10-08-2006 02:00 PM

I think you will also need a stand alone engine management system for big boost on a pre S-4 car.
You say that the reason you don't want to use a Supra is because alot of people are using them. I'm sure there is a good reason why alot of people choose the Supra. Easily making large amounts of HP is one of the reasons I'm sure. As hacker said, why try to reinvent the wheel.

Dennis K 10-08-2006 02:09 PM

You don't need 1000 hp to drift. An AE86 w/ 200 hp is more than enough. It's all about driver skill not horsepower. Learn to drive first. Even the top professional drifters in the US & Japan rarely have over 600 hp.

Put some crap tires on the back of your 928 and go have fun.

UKKid35 10-08-2006 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis K
Put some crap tires on the back of your 928 and go have fun.

Try Hankook Ventus, with them on the back in the dry it feels like the road is drenched.

Tony 10-08-2006 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by mark kibort
no issues with oiling on a drift car, unless its the high revs you need :burnout:
drifting carries with it, very little G loading.

mk

and we all know drifitng is the fastest way around a corner to boot. :icon107: :roflmao:

sublimate 10-08-2006 02:50 PM

I've never really seen the point of drifting but the part where this guy is drifiting around the truck stop looks like fun:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...3af4fe7173.htm
(fast foward to the 2min part if you don't want to see the details of the turboed engine).
However the part where they're drifiting on the public road is just stupid.

SharkSkin 10-08-2006 02:57 PM

With it's high polar moment of inertia, the 928 might not be the best drift car. It's hard to get the rear end to go out too far, and once it does there isn't a lot you can do about it.

Re: oiling issues -- if you're going to drive like 99% of the drifters do, banging against the revlimiter most of the way around the track, you're going to have problems.

https://members.rennlist.com/sharksk...c-TwoCents.gif

EspenT 10-08-2006 03:58 PM

Thanks for giving me all this input..
I see there is a few problems ahed, that needs to be solved.
Most important would be the Oil problem.. Where is the limitation? Could it be solved with
a dry sump system?
If we try to adress the boost limitations.. What's prone to break on those engines?
Experience from a Volvo B5234T engine i built learnt me that to much boost on low rpm's would bend the original rod's. With H-profile rods you could boost 20 psi from 2500rpm.
Does the crankshaft withstand boost? And what about the aluminium block?
As far as engine managment goes.. I have a DTA p8pro leftover from the volvo.

I'm not doing this to reinvent the wheel.. Just enjoing to do something else than the lot.
Also I would like to get as mutch help and info from you as posible.. I don't want to do the same errors that someone else has done before me..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the car arives we will take it apart and part with everything
we don't need. if someone needs interior or things like that, please pm me.

Vilhuer 10-08-2006 04:29 PM

Dry sump should take care of the oiling issues. Block can take some boost as long as detonation is controled. I'm not sure what running against limiter for extended periods will do to mixture etc.

Instead of aiming for world record hp I would just install 928 Motorsports SC kit to good condition stock 4.5L engine. It has more than enough power to drift all day long when intalled into lightened body.

About 600-700 hp gets into territory where clutch, torque tube and gearbox all need serious attention. This get expensive very quickly while don't have any benefit in drifting other than maybe attracting more sponsors.

Jim bailey - 928 International 10-09-2006 01:18 PM

Drifting contests are won based on judges opinions style points are scored by hitting the rev limiter not lifting and how well you can follow the leaders moves one run you lead the other you follow. So like "Dancing With The Stars" or Dog shows the decision of who wins is very subjective.... The sound of a V-8 at full song should bring a few smiles ! But in my opinion , pumping the clutch pedal in the corners is very abusive with the engine bouncing off the rev limiter. Drifters use a hand rear "steer" brake to help kick out the rearend but have the clutch down and gas pedal floored so it SOUNDS good while they are initiating the move . It is figure skating compared to Hockey when you look at drifting compared to racing :)