Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   The Twin Screw Thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/242321-the-twin-screw-thread.html)

BrianG 12-11-2005 07:58 PM

Thanks Mike, but I'm still confused. Could someone just address these 4 specific questions?

For the '87 S4 intercooled Autorotor Supermodel:

what injectors?
what Fuel Pressure Regulator?
what about the BEGI RRFPR? use it or not?

Induction system gaskets. What I have appears to be made from 1/8" thick cork. Is this the right/final material for these gaskets, or do I need to start hunting for something else?

Rick Carter 12-11-2005 09:15 PM

I have parts from Andy's kit I didn't use if someone needs them to do a "stock" install. Originally I said I ony used Andy's intake and pulleys, but I also used his oil inlet.
Rick
85 32v modified with bent valves

Warren928 12-12-2005 04:36 PM

Pics of Parts for kit

I wanted to take pictures of the kit. If someone wants to photoshop the parts to show 1) what they are, and 2) how they are used (special uses for features:, fittings, holes drilled for each part) that would be a great help to everyone.

Mspiegle,
Did your kit have one pulley only for the crank? When he sold me the kit, he said mine would not utilize the smog pump. Not sure if that is because its an older design or what. Maybe it cannot because its a different design. Many people are saying that two are required even if the smog pump is eliminated.

mspiegle 12-12-2005 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Warren928
I wanted to take pictures of the kit. If someone wants to photoshop the parts to show 1) what they are, and 2) how they are used (special uses for features:, fittings, holes drilled for each part) that would be a great help to everyone.

Mspiegle,
Did your kit have one pulley only for the crank? When he sold me the kit, he said mine would not utilize the smog pump. Not sure if that is because its an older design or what. Maybe it cannot because its a different design. Many people are saying that two are required even if the smog pump is eliminated.

Hmm... IIRC, you have a kit from his last run. Your crank pulley setup looks much different than what the majority have. I think most people have a larger anodized crank pulley. Is your stock pulley supposed to go inside of the SC pulley?

heinrich 12-12-2005 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by BrianG
Thanks Mike, but I'm still confused. Could someone just address these 4 specific questions? .

what injectors? 30lb Ford (I have heard that 23# ones work well too)
what Fuel Pressure Regulator? stock (I have heard Andy liked to have an earlier-model one installed)
what about the BEGI RRFPR? use it or not? Use. Definitely.

Induction system gaskets. What I have appears to be made from 1/8" thick cork. Is this the right/final material for these gaskets, or do I need to start hunting for something else? I see no reason there would be a problem

mspiegle 12-12-2005 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by heinrich

what injectors? 30lb Ford (I have heard that 23# ones work well too)
what Fuel Pressure Regulator? stock (I have heard Andy liked to have an earlier-model one installed)
what about the BEGI RRFPR? use it or not? Use. Definitely.

Induction system gaskets. What I have appears to be made from 1/8" thick cork. Is this the right/final material for these gaskets, or do I need to start hunting for something else? I see no reason there would be a problem

If you run ford 30#, use the 85/86 regulator

Depending on your setup, you may or may not need the RRFPR. What amount of boost will you run?

The gaskets he provided are probably fine. He's gone through about 5 different types of gasket material.

BrianG 12-12-2005 06:48 PM

Thanks Mike!! That's very helpful!

Originally Posted by mspiegle
Depending on your setup, you may or may not need the RRFPR. What amount of boost will you run?

I will not run more than 8 lb of boost..........................
initially :rolleyes:
Can you explain how/when the BEGI becomes significant?

mspiegle 12-12-2005 06:50 PM

That should put you over 400rwhp, so you'll definately want the RRFPR.

I'm not certain, but there is a chance that if you use 30# injectors and keep the S4 regulators - you might be able to do without the RRFPR by using the sharktuner - but that's uncharted territory.

Daryl 12-12-2005 06:59 PM

Heinrich, thank you for responding to this question. I would really like to clarify this issue about what fuel pressure regulator to use and if the BEGI should be used or not.

The injectors we are using were purchased from Summit Racing part #M-9593-B-302 #30.
My car is an 88 S-4 with an intercooler Eaton SC at 8 lbs boost. My last communications with Andy was last August. He told me to dump the BEGI and use only the 85-86 Fuel pressure regulator. In fact I traded my BEGI back to Andy for a pulley puller and new pulley.

My car was also running open loop, (all of the US cars run closed loop) which created problems not incurred before by Andy. I converted my car to closed loop so it would run like all of the other US cars. When going through the trouble shooting of this it came to light the the #30 injectors purchased from Summit Racing are really #25 lbs injectors.

The car is running great. I am using a wide band air/fuel gauge and the ratios are 14s at idle/cruise and mid 12s at wide open throttle.

I would like to know: On what applications is the BEGI used and what applications is it not used? Anyone know the answer to this question?

Daryl 12-12-2005 07:11 PM

mspiegle, is there any chance that you can clarify with Andy when it's appropriate to use the BEGI and when it should not be used?
I would really appreciate it if you could.

heinrich 12-12-2005 08:01 PM

Damn Daryl :rolleyes:

Jim_H 12-12-2005 08:28 PM

#1 24 & 30's have been used
#2 85-86
#3 I used it, and needed to with the #30 injectors.
#4 Can't remember, see below.

When I get home tonight I will look at my notes and follow up

Originally Posted by BrianG
Thanks Mike, but I'm still confused. Could someone just address these 4 specific questions?

what injectors?
what Fuel Pressure Regulator?
what about the BEGI RRFPR? use it or not?

Induction system gaskets. What I have appears to be made from 1/8" thick cork. Is this the right/final material for these gaskets, or do I need to start hunting for something else?

Jim_H 12-12-2005 08:33 PM

Daryl,
If you were running #30 I think you would need the RRFR.

One of the problems is I don't think any one application worked on all the Sharks. The system was morphing weekly and very few of us who actually installed and ran one will have the same experience as the one previous. I have saved most all of the install e mails and will review them when I get home.

mspiegle 12-12-2005 08:56 PM

if you wanna be safe, just get 30# injectors with 85/86 regulators and the BEGI. I have this setup running perfectly fine on a GTS which has a similar fueling setup to an S4. The car puts down over 400rwhp on 5psi and passes smog as well. This setup is daily driven.

This will also allow for some future expandability, because almost everyone wants to up the boost at some point in time.

You may or may not be able to get away with different and/or cheaper setups. Just do this and don't worry about it later down the line.

mspiegle 12-12-2005 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_H
Daryl,
If you were running #30 I think you would need the RRFR.

One of the problems is I don't think any one application worked on all the Sharks. The system was morphing weekly and very few of us who actually installed and ran one will have the same experience as the one previous. I have saved most all of the install e mails and will review them when I get home.

If you make the injector bigger, that leaves less reason to need the RRFPR. The RRFPR can only increase fuel pressure - not decrease it.