Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   The Twin Screw Thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/242321-the-twin-screw-thread.html)

Bill Ball 12-14-2005 03:20 PM

Brian:

That's super purdy.

You need one of my throttle cable brackets? I'm making some more this weekend.

Brian Donaldson of San Diego made a much more elegant bracket for his Autorotor. If he is reading this, maybe he could post a few pics. It looked much nicer than mine, seemed simpler to build, and did the job at least as well as my contraption.

BrianG 12-14-2005 03:21 PM

bead of......................... ???

Tim Murphy 12-14-2005 03:42 PM

<<<<<<Tony wrote:

Example…
In my car I had the needle valve 1 turn in from being all the way out with a ZERO point ( no boost/no vac) fuel pressure set to 68-70-psi via the center hex bolt,
When I drove my car and saw boost (7-8psi) my fuel pressure would go beyond my gauge limit of 100psi!!
This told me that since I basically cant let anymore air out of the BEGI unit via the needle valve, my only other choice is to RESTRICT the amount of air coming in. Therefore I placed the restrictor tube in the signal line. On the next test drive, the fuel pressure stopped in the mid 80’s. with the needle valve un touched from the previous run.

End of what Tony wrote>>>>

When you pull the vac line off the BEGI you should also pull it off the fuel reg as well to get a true reading.

I would think that 68-70 psi at zero manifold pressure is going to cause a rich condition at all times when you are not in boost. This will result in poor drivability and fuel economy. I would leave the needle valve closed and use the BEGI onset adjustment to tune where you want your final fuel pressure to be when you are in boost. Once you do this you will know what the initial setting should be. With the needle valve closed you would be at 8:1 fuel to boost ratio. You might find that you will have it set very close to where the stock regulator would be at with zero manifold pressure. If this were the case I would dump the BEGI and put in a std Vortech FMU which is a more reliable component. FWIW, the needle valve will have minimal effect with out the restrictor on the manifold signal line to the BEGI unit.

heinrich 12-14-2005 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by BrianG
bead of......................... ???

Sorry, permtex gasket maker or such.

heinrich 12-14-2005 03:49 PM

:confused: Tim ....

Shane 12-14-2005 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Murphy
<<<<<<Tony wrote:

FWIW, the needle valve will have minimal effect with out the restrictor on the manifold signal line to the BEGI unit.

Too true! That is how I got my car tuned, and Tim, THANKS for helping me over the phone to get it that way.

Rick Carter 12-14-2005 04:31 PM

I have an unused Super FMU I bought in preperation for installing a F.A.S.T. system but didn't.

heinrich 12-14-2005 04:36 PM

I'd be interested ... price? I currently have a BEGI.

Shane 12-14-2005 04:53 PM

Heinrick you have a Vortec super FMU.

Daryl 12-14-2005 04:54 PM

Bill

I just have to say: “You are the man”!
This is a very difficult decision because there are so many good people out there but…

I hear by nominate you Rennlister of the year. I don’t know anyone who offers so much good advise and potential causes than you do. I really appreciate your input.

I think I hear what you are saying. If I have covered all of the bases, vac leaks, mechanical possibilities, then just get out there and enjoy the car. It probably ran about the same as before anyway. You know you are right, but I don’t live in sunny California. We just got about three inches of snow and they say more is coming! And business is slow on top of that. How about I put my car on the trailer and get down there for a nice visit?? Oh, you don’t have any extra room in the garage!

Seriously though, when I first got my car it was a vacuum leaking sieve! Every actuator leaked, the modulator leaked, both dampers leaked gas, the intake manifold gasket leaked and probably a few other things I can’t think of right now. As well I had one dead injector another that had to be replaced and the rest serviced. I became very sensitive to how the engine ran and I know for sure it’s not quite as good now.

I borrowed a smoke machine and I don’t see any vac leaks. I think that is covered off. The only other thing I noticed is that when I short number six plug the engine does loose rpm but not as much as the other cylinders. The spark plug look good and so does compression. I am going to pop the injector and have it checked out. From there I am on to fuel mapping. Anyone want to join me???

One last question? Are our red #30 injectors 30lbs or 25lbs. when used in out application. Ouch that hurt! Someone just threw something at me. Was that you henrich? :)

heinrich 12-14-2005 05:01 PM

Coulda sworn that was a BEGI! Oh well :)

Daryl 12-14-2005 05:39 PM

Brian,
Many of used this stuff

http://www.permatex.com/products/pro...&item_no=33694

You can get the size that works in a regular caulking gun.

Jim_H 12-14-2005 07:14 PM

Yep, If you are going to reseal. Putting a 'nice clean bead' around the outside probably isn't worth the time. I probably wouldn't reseal.

Originally Posted by Daryl
Brian,
Many of used this stuff

http://www.permatex.com/products/pro...&item_no=33694

You can get the size that works in a regular caulking gun.

Bill Ball 12-14-2005 07:34 PM

Daryl:

Another thought about the slight off-idle roughness. I sense the same thing if I am sitting in the garage in park or neutral and gently push the throttle under no load. However, when driving, there is no uneveness at all even gently taking off from a stop or cruising along in traffic at under 2K RPM, so I have chosen to ignore the no-load uneveness. I can't recall if it was there before the SC.

DR 12-14-2005 07:58 PM

Bill,

>Another thought about the slight off-idle roughness.

Have you tried adjusting the position of your TPS? If I recall it should come "off idle" at only 1 degree from idle and yours could be out of adjustment.