Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   1986.5 Porsche 928S Stolen in Irvine CA (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1323328-1986-5-porsche-928s-stolen-in-irvine-ca.html)

IcemanG17 11-01-2022 05:10 PM

928's are quite difficult to steal, regardless of if they have the stock alarm. As a police sergeant I agree it was most likely moved from the spot by a tow truck using wheel dollies. Having seen repossessions in person they are VERY quick! The law in California is if they get tires in the air, it is theirs! Typically the owner arrives later and wants to report their car stolen, then we give them the bad news. However the repo company must report it so any law enforcement will see it was recently repossessed.

Assuming you own it free and clear with no lien, it is quite puzzling.

mkhargrove 11-01-2022 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Speedtoys (Post 18441724)
That begs the question...is the 928 market starving for parts???

A thief knows the value before he steals it..I feel safer in Mexico in my 928, than I would a Yukon for this reason.

Good question....what's the value of a GOOD 928 part by part including motor and transmission.... $16k?

Speedtoys 11-01-2022 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mkhargrove (Post 18441895)
Good question....what's the value of a GOOD 928 part by part including motor and transmission.... $16k?

I dunno, but this is the -2nd- stolen 928 ive seen on RL since I got here in 2007 or so...and with one 928 junkyard in the US that's...not entirely busy, the chop shop market is pretty much zero.

928 GT R 11-01-2022 06:44 PM

Check with all of your neighbors for their camera footage. I surely would not want to be a criminal with all of the surveillance capacity in todays world.

I have used cameras for several prosecutions for theft and dog attacks over the years.

It costs little for great evidence quality cameras these days that are connected to the cloud via internet and/or cellular networks.

Do not be surprised if someone has pictures of the theft or the car soon after it was removed from the scene. Consider looking at the footage taken at intersections from the hours surrounding the theft. The evidence is out there, you have to find it... Consult with the officer you reported the theft to as he may be able to guide you to resources you are unaware of.

Good luck getting it back without any damage!

hlee96 11-01-2022 09:03 PM

That's so unfortunate. Trouble is, it is by the shore and afraid that it;'s already being prepped to go out internationally on a boat.
Was this car a Bring A Trailer purchase? Looks familiar.

jjf112 11-05-2022 11:27 PM

Hey all, thanks for all the comments. It was recovered! Police found it parked illegally at an apartment complex in Aliso Viejo. The gas tank was completely empty but other than that I don't see any damage. Bringing it in to the shop on Wednesday to make sure everything is in place.

Question, how would someone steal this car. Cut keys? I have both keys. There was no damage to the ignition. I did have the windows half way open when it was stolen.

Petza914 11-05-2022 11:28 PM

Great news. Hope it checks out ok.

GregBBRD 11-05-2022 11:34 PM

That's great news!
If the steering lock is intact, obviously someone had a key.
And if that is the case, you probably are going to want to re-key the car.

hernanca 11-06-2022 01:16 AM

I had spare keys for my 928's made, and all they needed was a good quality picture. (Granted, however, it took a few tries for me to give them a good enough quality picture). Meanwhile, BaT ads, and probably other selling formats, often have pictures of all the 928 keys which will be included with the sale. I cringe whenever I see that.

Occam's Razor suggests there's a simpler explanation than someone having a copy made from an ad picture, but criminals will take whatever edge they can, and I prefer to give them none.
:soapbox:

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming! :burnout:

GregBBRD 11-06-2022 01:44 AM

That's great news!
And figure out who had the opportunity to copy the key.....

snoz 11-06-2022 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by jjf112 (Post 18448999)
Hey all, thanks for all the comments. It was recovered! Police found it parked illegally at an apartment complex in Aliso Viejo. The gas tank was completely empty but other than that I don't see any damage. Bringing it in to the shop on Wednesday to make sure everything is in place.

Question, how would someone steal this car. Cut keys? I have both keys. There was no damage to the ignition. I did have the windows half way open when it was stolen.

Glad to hear you got your car back. Is it possible that a previous owner is still local to your area? They might have seen your car and still had a spare key.

928NOOBIE 11-06-2022 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by GregBBRD (Post 18449092)
That's great news!
And figure out who had the opportunity to copy the key.....

And get their name and address and tell them there is a bright future for people successful at recreating Porsche keys...because Porsche sells them...but they don't always work.

tv 11-06-2022 10:28 AM

good news. There should be no way a 928 can be stolen and kept by the thief. There are only 3 parts suppliers and very few people who can work on these outside of this forum. 928spec use to ask for vin on their form to buy parts. I think that is a great idea! So if a hot vin shows on a parts request - found! All of us spread out in the country notice a 928 whenever we see one, which is extremely rare. The abandoned mall car from a few months back and the awkward bob/rob thread from a week ago.

jjf112 11-06-2022 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by snoz (Post 18449096)
Glad to hear you got your car back. Is it possible that a previous owner is still local to your area? They might have seen your car and still had a spare key.

I bought it on BAT earlier this year. The previous owner is a couple hours north in Monterey and I believe he is an elderly doctor so I don't think he is going on any joy rides. The only thing I can think of is it was in the shop for almost 3 weeks getting a ton of stuff worked on before it got stolen. It was stolen the same day I got it back. However, I do trust those guys.

Gary Knox 11-06-2022 02:19 PM

Quote: . However, I do trust those guys.[/QUOTE]

Well - probably shouldn't trust ALL of them. Someone at that shop, or familiar with where the keys are kept at that shop must have had access. I doubt the local Ace Hardware could copy a key, however, so there is a bit of a 'ring' involved.

Glad you have it back. Trust Greg B's suggestion about changing the lock.