Tape Deck Head unit alternative to original Blaupunkt Reno - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 928 Forum
Reload this Page >

Tape Deck Head unit alternative to original Blaupunkt Reno

Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

Tape Deck Head unit alternative to original Blaupunkt Reno

Reply

Old 07-16-2018, 02:56 PM
  #1  
Harvey-s4
User
Thread Starter
 
Harvey-s4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 34
Default Tape Deck Head unit alternative to original Blaupunkt Reno

Hi All,

I would like to bring the magic of analog sound to my 87' 928 s4.

I would of course love to instal a "Reno" but they are 600-1000 dollars on ebay. A previous owner dropped a crappy pioneer cd player in there that is fortunately still using the original amp. So my question is what are some good alternative Blaupunkt or other 80's tape decks that can utilize the amp? Before doing my research I bought this guy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-rad...72.m2749.l2649
because it has the look but now I'm thinking it wont work because of it's integrated amp.

would love some guidance, thanks.




Harvey-s4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:01 PM
  #2  
Speedtoys
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Speedtoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Posts: 9,057
Default

I have something at home you might like.

Ill get photos this eve and post it.
Speedtoys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:24 PM
  #3  
Harvey-s4
User
Thread Starter
 
Harvey-s4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 34
Default

Originally Posted by Speedtoys View Post
I have something at home you might like.

Ill get photos this eve and post it.
fascinated!
Harvey-s4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:30 PM
  #4  
crushingday
User
 
crushingday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Baltimore Md 21236
Posts: 817
Default

Any interest in a Blau' Charleston from my '87 944s?
crushingday is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:32 PM
  #5  
Harvey-s4
User
Thread Starter
 
Harvey-s4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 34
Default

Originally Posted by crushingday View Post
Any interest in a Blau' Charleston from my '87 944s?
looks right... works with a discrete amp? If so yes
Harvey-s4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:57 PM
  #6  
crushingday
User
 
crushingday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Baltimore Md 21236
Posts: 817
Default

Originally Posted by Harvey-s4 View Post


looks right... works with a discrete amp? If so yes
Pm sent
crushingday is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 PM
  #7  
Christopher Zach
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 285
Default

Renos are really kind of crummy and I thought they had built in amps. On my 86.5 the radio in there did not, and when I tried swapping in a blaupunkt with an amp it got very whiney.

I went with a Bamberg with a DIN plug wired to the pre-amp output. Looks great, doesn't have the dippy paddles and the display works.

Check out some of the older Blaupunkts on Ebay; I would really like to find a Washington. Only problem is there doesn't seem to be anyone on Shortwave anymore. :-(
Christopher Zach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:22 PM
  #8  
Harvey-s4
User
Thread Starter
 
Harvey-s4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 34
Default

Originally Posted by Christopher Zach View Post
Renos are really kind of crummy and I thought they had built in amps. On my 86.5 the radio in there did not, and when I tried swapping in a blaupunkt with an amp it got very whiney.

I went with a Bamberg with a DIN plug wired to the pre-amp output. Looks great, doesn't have the dippy paddles and the display works.

Check out some of the older Blaupunkts on Ebay; I would really like to find a Washington. Only problem is there doesn't seem to be anyone on Shortwave anymore. :-(
this was my original set up:
Harvey-s4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:33 PM
  #9  
[email protected]
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Park Ridge, IL (near Chicago)
Posts: 2,607
Default

Your Friedberg looks nice, and I bet you can make it work with your car. Unless you need originality, you could bypass the existing 928 amps and use its the integrated amp. It may also have line level outputs if you need to use the 928 amps.
Good luck,
Dave
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 PM
  #10  
Harvey-s4
User
Thread Starter
 
Harvey-s4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 34
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Your Friedberg looks nice, and I bet you can make it work with your car. Unless you need originality, you could bypass the existing 928 amps and use its the integrated amp. It may also have line level outputs if you need to use the 928 amps.
Good luck,
Dave

yeah it seems like to use all 6 speakers I need to use the amp. I'll open it up tonight at throw some pics up.
Harvey-s4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:44 AM
  #11  
Speedtoys
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Speedtoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Posts: 9,057
Default

Originally Posted by Harvey-s4 View Post


fascinated!
Needs its code entered (can look this up via www I think) or if too many attempts, sent in to get it unlocked

Comes with hard to find line level output cables. An easy to find power cable can be sourced via Ebay.

Speedtoys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:25 AM
  #12  
Christopher Zach
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 285
Default

Here's another good one: A Heidelburg, drop in replacement for the Reno.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...6/283041879482

(I have this in my car, not the Bamberg. My error)

Christopher Zach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:32 PM
  #13  
Harvey-s4
User
Thread Starter
 
Harvey-s4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 34
Default

Originally Posted by Christopher Zach View Post
Here's another good one: A Heidelburg, drop in replacement for the Reno.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...6/283041879482

(I have this in my car, not the Bamberg. My error)

THANKS! looks great! I wonder if this one has the line-level out for the amp?
Harvey-s4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:44 PM
  #14  
Kevin in Atlanta
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 4,516
Default

I had this one gone over by SWStereo and had him add an audio out and build a harness to go to an after market amp.

Pardon the dust. $500 plus shipping.


Kevin in Atlanta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:38 PM
  #15  
Christopher Zach
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 285
Default

Originally Posted by Harvey-s4 View Post
THANKS! looks great! I wonder if this one has the line-level out for the amp?
Yes it does. It's a standard BP 7 pin DIN, I made an adapter up myself with a pair of real Blaupunkt sockets for the speaker wires and hooked them up to the DIN port with a plug. Pretty simple and the result is the Amp is perfectly happy.

However if you had a Reno I wonder how it worked. I have one in my 87 944S, and if I recall it has 20 amp outputs and no line out.
Christopher Zach is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tape Deck Head unit alternative to original Blaupunkt Reno


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: