Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Help - I built a 4x4 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1028368-help-i-built-a-4x4.html)

GregBBRD 10-06-2017 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jbrob007 (Post 14519165)
Greg, You mind expanding upon that thought...? I've heard there's a few bolts that we're not supposed to torque until the car is on the ground and settled. Can't for the life of me figure out which ones and I'm sure my front end is not where it needs to be... :banghead: Any assistance you may provide us novices would be GREATLY appreciated!

BTW, crack that whip on the young whipper-snapper you got working for you and let Jake know I said "Hello Youngin'... hope you're doing well" :biggulp:

Thanks,

Joel

1. Rear of lower control arm must be left very loose, so outer portion of rubber bushing can turn in the hole.

2. Lower shock mounting bolt (which is also upper sway bar link attachment) left loose enough so that the metal insert inside the bottom rubber in the shock can easily pivot....along with the upper sway bar link.

3. Lower sway bar link to sway bar bolt.

4. Upper control arm outer nuts.

Never switch lower A-arms from side to side. Never replace only one of the lower control arms. The front bushing is vulcanized to both the inner and outer pieces of aluminum. Because this is a "hard" attachment, that piece of rubber becomes a part of the spring rate of the car!

hacker-pschorr 10-06-2017 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 14519738)
Anything with a rubber bushing should not be tightened until the car is pulled down or pushed up to near ride height.

+1

This is not unique to the 928, every car ever made with rubber bushings this applies. Control arms, sway bars etc... Any suspension piece held in place by rubber (versus a solid type heim joint which is almost never found in production cars).

The idea is rubber bushings should be torqued at the "neutral" location. Some cars it's impossible to do this once dropped so you have to "best guess" and hold up the pieces while torqing the fastener.

Catorce 10-06-2017 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 14520409)
+1

This is not unique to the 928, every car ever made with rubber bushings this applies. Control arms, sway bars etc... Any suspension piece held in place by rubber (versus a solid type heim joint which is almost never found in production cars).

The idea is rubber bushings should be torqued at the "neutral" location. Some cars it's impossible to do this once dropped so you have to "best guess" and hold up the pieces while torqing the fastener.

True. You should see the preload on the rubber bushings on a 997TT. Bolt it up hard without the car on the ground and expect a 1-2" extra ride height....

jbrob007 10-07-2017 12:32 AM

Thanks guys... will check / re-torque with the weight on the car. Learn something new every day :)