924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Spring spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003 | 11:57 AM
Lousailor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Spring spacer question

I'm installing new Weltmiester proportional springs in a set 944 turbo strut towers. They are much shorter than the stock springs. Do I need the spring spacers that I see listed in Windward and Perf Prods to make the car sits at the right height? I really didn't want to lower it much from stock (maybe an inch or so). Thanks
Old 09-27-2003 | 02:52 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

By turbo strut mounts do you mean they have a part number that starts with 951?

I think (not 100% sure) the part that has that number is not supposed to be used on cars with early offset length (short) control arms. All of the cars you have listed in your sig have the shorter control arms. The later 951 numbered strut mount is different not just in construction, but in the fact that is has a different angle built into it to compensate for the longer control arms that were used on the late offset cars.
Old 09-27-2003 | 03:01 PM
Lousailor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes. I'm using turbo strut casings for my 924S rebuild. I'll ckeck the mounting angles with the OEM struts I took out. The turbo upper mounts have a large robber bushing, but if I need to use the originals, it should all bolt togther the same. I'll also be using Turbo spindles and the turbo brakes. Thanks
Old 09-27-2003 | 03:05 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe it has to do with the control arm length as much as angle built into the steering knuckle. Late control arms are just plain longer. 924, 924S (even though it uses late offset wheels) and early 944 all use the physically shorter early offset control arms. My fear would be that you will put too much preload on the strut bushing and cause it to fail early.
Old 09-27-2003 | 03:09 PM
Lousailor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, I'll check. One of the guys here races a 924S although they are limited in what they can change, he may know the answer. If worse comes to worse, I should be able to use the stock 924S upper stut mounts to top off the new strut housings, although the turbo mounts look much cooler. Thanks

Quick Reply: Spring spacer question