924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

worked over spare wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 PM
nidmatt
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worked over spare wheel well

Last fall i bought a 87 924s. The body in fair condition with lots of knics and dings. Took a closer look and a few things a strange. 1) Under the carpet in the hatch area there is some knid of thick coating which is cracking and falling off. Any ideas what this is? it looks like it may be a sound proof of some kind. it's about 1/4" thick. 2) Also, the spare wheel well has been patched with sheet metal and self tapping screws. Must has been a beginer body shop guy. Whats the best way to repair ir? Is there a replacements available, possible fiberglass?
Thanks for helping.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:08 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

If it looks beige and feels like foam, and appears to have been attached to the carpet at one point, you are right it is insulation. Mainly for sound and vibration dampening. In the cockpit similar stuff is glued to the metal. That stuff though with age turns to a really crumbly, sticky cake sort of thing.

However if its rubberized it may undercoating, but that shouldn't be underneathe the carpet. Only on the underside of the car, and maybe in the pocks behind the rear wheels don't remember.

I don't believe fiberglass replacements are available. That said it is a fairly simple shape (a rotated, offset section of a cylinder) and could likely make it if you really want fiberglass. Many times people cut that area out for a track car to run aftermarket fuel cells. They might have just the metal piece you're looking for.

Remove the poor repair in there. But also, try to determine why its been repaired. Is there a leak causing rust? Was the car damaged there previously? Take a close look at the rear frame rails to see if they are okay.

The best way, in my opinion, would be to get a replacement metal section and weld it in. Then, prime, paint that area as normal and reapply undercoating (available in spray form). If you want the factory look, you can paint over it.

Take care!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 PM
nidmatt
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

French toast, thanks for the reply. Yeah, i would say the crumbly material is sound proofing. I'm going to scrape it out then replace it with another material.

What seems to have happened is just some water collection over the years. the car sat outside for quite a while with a leaky rear hatch. The drain plug was plugged up, hence it held water. i may just try to make a fiberglass one, as you stated, its a simple shape. I fixed the hatch, so now i'll move on to the spare tire well.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:47 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Just as long as you're not replacing anything structural with fiberglass, you should be good.

As for making the fiberglass, maybe you could make the mold with an old, larger tire, form the FG over that as a mold.

Did it rust any though? A friend has an earlier car, the drain plug was siliconed over by the PO, took the spare out water was halfway up. Don't know how long the water was in there (we estimated maybe a few months), but there wasn't any rust.

Be sure to get proper masks and stuff when working with fiberglass. Nasty stuff, don't want to breathe it.

Take care!

Quick Reply: worked over spare wheel well