924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

reliability, problem areas, and maintenence costs of a 924

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 PM
hebrewhomeboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reliability, problem areas, and maintenence costs of a 924

Hi all. In the somewhat near future I'm going to buy a 924 (non s model) as a daily driver, and I just wanted to get a more firm idea of maintenance and reliability of them. Any tips or info you could throw my way, I would greatly appreciate.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:17 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Maintenance and operation is very cheap - pretty much comparable to a VW of the same era, IMO (having owned and operated both).

Reliability is great - ONCE you've got the bugs worked out! Main areas of concern are getting the fuel injection cleaned out and getting electrical bugs (corrosion, really) sorted out. Once they're cleaned out, repaired, and driven regularly, they tend to stay in good shape.

My race car is a non-S NA, and is VERY reliable. Engine management, etc is all stock (per the rules) and they're pretty much bulletproof, as long as you keep feeding it good clean gas.

You won't be blown away by straight-line performance or fuel economy (the CIS is not as efficient as the EFI in the 944), but it's not bad, and the twisties are great!

The later cars (80-82) are definitely nicer-optioned - power mirrors/windows, etc...
Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 AM
hebrewhomeboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be trying to get a 1981, since that's my birth year and I just think that would be cool to have a car my age. I'm not to worried about straight line performance, this would be a daily driver that I sometimes autocrossed. Sounds like good news though, thanks for the info! I've noticed very nice examples going on ebay for about $2-$3K, so that's what I'm hoping to spend on a nice one. Again, thanks.

Quick Reply: reliability, problem areas, and maintenence costs of a 924